Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new build proposal in Dallas TX area

1. Back To Top    #1

new build proposal in Dallas TX area

My wife and I are going to put a small pool in so I have been lurking on the site for quite a while. We live in the Dallas area and due to the shape of our lot we have some space issues to deal with. Here is a list of what our company is proposing and we are still discussing price with them. There will be a retaining wall on the long side of the pool about 35 feet long and the scuppers will come from that.

29x25x15x19 trapezoidal shape max 5.5 feet deep
    pool shell 10" box beam w/ 1/2 steel & 1/2 steel 10"o floor and walls with alternating bars
    gunite 8" thick floor & walls
    pool filter, Pentair FNS Plus D.E. 60SF
    Pump, Pentair WhispeFlo WF-28 2HP
    Fountain ss 1" pipe scuppers
    Pool chlorinator, Rainbow in-line w/ check valve
    Pool Ozonator, Clear O3 by Paramont
    Nature 2G Mineral Purification System
    pool Sweep, Polaris 280 Black Max
    Cleaner Booster Pump Pentair Letro 3/4 HP
    Pool Automation Easy Touch 4P
    Easy touch wireless controller
    auto fill paralevel w DCA at water meter per city code
    pool skimmer
    pool plumbing all pipe will be SCH 40 PVC
    Backwash Line w P-trap
    Pool Electrical
    Light Pentair 100W ss Face Plate
    Pool Light Intellibrite Colored LED
    Flagstone Lueders Limestone 2"
    Tile Budget 16 Sq Ft/ 210 Sq ft
    Pool Plaster Diamond Brite or Durazzo / Custom Color Darker blue additional charge
    Pool start-up
    Acidify Water and brush plaster daily for the first 3-5 days
    maintain cleaning and chemicals for the first 7 days
    pool permit
    sod repair

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new build proposal in Dallas TX area

Answers intertwined below.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotpool
    ... 29x25x15x19 trapezoidal shape max 5.5 feet deep
    pool shell 10" box beam w/ 1/2 steel & 1/2 steel 10"o floor and walls with alternating bars
    gunite 8" thick floor & walls
    pool filter, Pentair FNS Plus D.E. 60SF
    Pump, Pentair WhispeFlo WF-28 2HP
    Fountain ss 1" pipe scuppers

Get rid of the following three items. Switch to a swg or a liquid injection system. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the future.

[s:2v3h86up]Pool chlorinator, Rainbow in-line w/ check valve[/s:2v3h86up]
    [s:2v3h86up]Pool Ozonator, Clear O3 by Paramont[/s:2v3h86up]
    [s:2v3h86up]Nature 2G Mineral Purification System[/s:2v3h86up]

Pool Sweep, Polaris 280 Black Max
    Cleaner Booster Pump Pentair Letro 3/4 HP
    Pool Automation Easy Touch 4P
    Easy touch wireless controller
    auto fill paralevel w DCA at water meter per city code
    pool skimmer
    pool plumbing all pipe will be SCH 40 PVC Make sure it's at least 2" and 2½" would be better. Individual runs back to the pad would be good too.
    Backwash Line w/ P-trap
    Pool Electrical
    Light Pentair 100W ss Face Plate
    Pool Light Intellibrite Colored LED
    Flagstone Lueders Limestone 2"
    Tile Budget 16 Sq Ft/ 210 Sq ft
    Pool Plaster Diamond Brite or Durazzo / Custom Color Darker blue additional charge
    Pool start-up
    Acidify Water and brush plaster daily for the first 3-5 days
    maintain cleaning and chemicals for the first 7 days
    pool permit
    sod repair
    I'm sure others will be along with more recommendations.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Make sure the PB is ok using that flagstone with salt pool if you decide to go that way. I can't talk highly enough in regards to how trouble-free the salt water chlorine generator (SWG) can make owning a pool.

Wow, no heater. I was going to say you probably don't need a pool heater around here.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I didn't notice the lack of a heater. I will have to ask about that and the salt.

5. Back To Top    #5

I ended up taking my heater off my pool. Keeping water warm here isn't an issue. With your darker finish color, it'll warm up even faster, too.

<---- Note what city I'm in.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

x2 on leaving off the pool heater.

We're 4 hours north of you in Tulsa, and will probably be adding a heat pump to our pool next year. These 100 degree+ days almost make the pool water too warm...lately it's been hovering between 98-100 degrees. A heat pump can be used to chill the water on those really hot days, and can be used to heat the water to extend the swim season. (And I'm told they're less expensive to operate than a gas heater).
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

7. Back To Top    #7

Tulsa is a lot cooler than D/FW most the time. I used to spend a lot of time there. So, that's very good added advice!

You know you can make a fountain/chiller and run it during the night to drop pool temps. I ran mine last year and over 4-5 days was able to get mine down 8 degrees. I have a LOT of water to cool, too!

8. Back To Top    #8

Robbie...yep...I read about that, so we asked for a fountain when we built our pool. We were expecting a deck-mounted or wall-mounted fountain that could be controlled with its own valve...but, instead, we got a plastic fountain head that replaces one of the returns...LOL. I run our filter 3am to 10pm every day, and, since putting the fountain in a little over a week ago, have noticed only a 2 degree drop in water temp. (I'm sure I could cool it more than that if I took the fountain off every morning and put the return eye back in...but it seems like such a pain! My only other option would be to only run the filter at night...but I don't want to do that, either).
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

9. Back To Top    #9

An Easytouch is pretty expensive just to turn a pool light off and on unless you have some pool and/or landscaping features that aren't listed.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

10. Back To Top    #10

Agree, Blaine.....but....if future expansion involves a heater, landscape lighting, Liquidator, SWG, etc., then it's not a bad idea to put it in now. Plus, I see there's a fountain and/or(?) scuppers in the proposal, so there's more than just the lights.

11. Back To Top    #11

I think you should at least go with a two speed pump, if not a variable speed.
    16K in-ground plaster/pebble with spillway spa, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 4, FNS Plus 60 DE filter, IC40 SWG, MasterTemp 400, Intellibrite LED pool and spa, Polaris 280 and booster pump

12. Back To Top    #12

You can also do away with the extra pump, extra plumbing and polaris by going with an electric robotic cleaner.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

13. Back To Top    #13

Hey neighbor! Good luck on your pool! We'll be watching as you go along.
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

14. Back To Top    #14

thank you we are excited and want to get started!!

15. Back To Top    #15

are robot cleaners any good?

16. Back To Top    #16

Regarding the Computer.. We bought the EasyTouch8 with the wall mounted control panel. We skipped the remote part, since we already have 3 places to turn everything on. As difficult as it is, I have to launch myself off of the couch and walk all the way to the indoor monitor on the wall. (I really wanted the remote.. but the husband decided I could use the exercise.)

Good luck!!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net

17. Back To Top    #17

We are having some second thoughts about my builder and want a few additional quotes, does anyone have a suggestion for a straight line modern style pool in Dallas?

18. Back To Top    #18

What I would suggest is find the "look" you are looking for. Make a list of the features you want to add to a basic pool. There are some fine builders right here in the metroplex that would be happy to give you bids... especially now. We are getting closer to the end of the swimming season (sort of.) My PB (for example) can't really go far because he is a "hands on guy" that oversees the entire process. Driving 2 hours to get somewhere is not cost effective for him (during the summer months.) Do a google map search, see who has pools around you and go catch them at home. Pick their brains.. My PB works from referrals. In fact the other night he called to see if he could show "potential clients" our pool. He is pretty proud of it, and so am I. I checked about 5 of his pools out. I know I have solid rock about 2 feet down.. I wasn't charged anything extra for chomping thru that. Two builders I interviewed quoted an hourly charge (like yours..) Which I thought was "normal." I asked my PB about that, and he said he's built many pools in my neighborhood, and already had that built in to his price. No surprises.. At least go talk to a neighbor with a pool and ask if they hit rock OR water. (Another issue...) Do a google map search and see who has pools.

I am a Realtor, (24 years) so I see 100's of pools and I don't mind asking folks questions about their pools and equipment. Homeowners love to tell you about their pools!! If you are South, I'd give you my PB as an excellent builder. If I knew which area you are in, I'd call some of my associates and ask who they would recommend. We lived in Arlington for 25 years.. until we wanted a couple of acres.......... a "man cave" and a pool.

Good luck!!! PM me if you want the nitty gritty details.
    Helen