Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt is salt right?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt is salt right?

We've less than a month before we put the pool away for the season and you guessed it - Mr. Low Salt started beeping this weekend. Natually pool salt is no longer stocked (school supplies are but no salt). So I bought water softener salt pellets - the package said it was "all salt" and 99% pure.

Since it's pellets it won't dissolve as fast - is it ok for them to sit on the bottom or do I need to brush them until they disappear? We have one of those "in and out" type of evenings so my hope is to dump the amount I need (1/2 the bag) and walk away for a few hours then come back and bush if they are "softened".

Diane
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt is salt right?

Have you checked hardware stores? Pool stores?
    I don't know anything about salt pellets for softeners, but could you put them in a bucket and pour a big pot of boiling water over them to get them to dissolve?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, it's ok to leave it sit a while. I would try to brush them around once in a while. If you already put them in I bet you were surprised how fast the dissolved.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I bet you were surprised how fast the dissolved.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. The salt pellets is what I used for my pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I use Mortons Solar Salt for a water softner. As long as it's pure with no additives it's ok to use (typically cheaper than pool salt as well).
    Like others said. Just brush it around to help it disolve faster.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

This is what I use from home depot. Dissolves very quickly.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UCEggU2PW4I
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

The Diamond Crystal is what I use as well.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!