Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Yeomanflood in California

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from Yeomanflood in California

I just wanted to introduce myself to this forum. I just want all of you active participants, especially you moderators and administrators that this forum is awesome and I thank you for it! I have owned a house with pool for a year and had a pool guy taking care of it. Inevitably, I discovered that he was terrible and consequently
    I think I have mustard algae in the pool (it sticks to the sides and some of it won't brush off with a nylon/stainless brush, it's yellowish and brownish). I think he just really didn't service my pool and spa at all - what a joke. So on the advice of my wife, I've taken the challenge of maintaining my pool and spa myself. I'm a little OCD so I expect to spend a lot of time here. I have ordered my TF100 test kit so once that arrives I'll post my results. I know that first thing I need to kill off the mustard algae - and I'm sure there's a lot more to be done for both my pool and spa. I just wanted to announce my plunge into pool maintenance and thank all of you involved in this awesome forum!! Thanks!!
    Outdoor IG Plaster Pool @18,000 gallons
    Cartridge Filter: Jandy CL580 (filter area 580 ft2, Max Flow 150 gpm, 6-hr capacity 54,000g)
    Pool Built est. 2002

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from Yeomanflood in California

Welcome to the forum.

Yellow/brown that won't brush off sounds more like staining than algae.

Good job on ordering the kit. Once you get it you can attack whatever the problem turns out ot be.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hello from Yeomanflood in California

Bama Rambler- thanks for the reply. I've been spending time trying to figure out if the brown/yellow is algae vs. stain. I think the pool guy didn't keep the chlorine levels high at all- everytime I tested within a day or 2 of his treatments it would be at 0.5 or some terribly low level. The brown/yellow would grow and expand in the pool until I I started to buy andadd liquid - such that over the last week it doesn't really expand much - and I brush every day with a nylon/stainless. There hasn't been much pollen in the air lately either. So I'm leaning towards algae - driven mostly by the pool guy's low chlorine (I can't wait to test CYA!).
    I will come back here with my readings and we will go from there!!
    And I'm definitely going to open up the filter because the gauge keeps reading something like only 1 or 2 lbs which I think is terribly low, ie., there may be a hole in the element, the gauge needs replacement or something else is off.
    Thanks, again!
    Outdoor IG Plaster Pool @18,000 gallons
    Cartridge Filter: Jandy CL580 (filter area 580 ft2, Max Flow 150 gpm, 6-hr capacity 54,000g)
    Pool Built est. 2002