New Kit User Posting results

Aug 6, 2012
Hi, everyone!

I just got the TF-100 today. I bought it because I was concerned about our calcium level and water hardness, since the water has been cloudy. I had to add 6 drops of R-0012 to get the water to turn blue (60). Is this a high or a low level of calcium? And what do I need to do to resolve it?

Additionally, I have a low pH at 6.8, the TA was 7 drops (70), and I have basically no chlorine, or CYA, at all. I know I need to add pH increase and some shock and chlorine, but in what order? And do I do that at the same time I fix whatever is wrong with my calcium?

Thanks, in advance, for your kind efforts to help me get everything back in shape!

Cheers!
Jersey Girl

DowntheShore said:
Hi, everyone!

I just got the TF-100 today. I bought it because I was concerned about our calcium level and water hardness, since the water has been cloudy. I had to add 6 drops of R-0012 to get the water to turn blue (60). Is this a high or a low level of calcium? And what do I need to do to resolve it?

Additionally, I have a low pH at 6.8, the TA was 7 drops (70), and I have basically no chlorine, or CYA, at all. I know I need to add pH increase and some shock and chlorine, but in what order? And do I do that at the same time I fix whatever is wrong with my calcium?

Thanks, in advance, for your kind efforts to help me get everything back in shape!

Cheers!
Jersey Girl
60 is low. If you have a vinyl liner, that's fine. If your pool is concrete/plaster, it's too low.

For the pH and TA, borax should fix it. You'll need to measure the pool to determine volume and then figure out how much borax you need using the pool calculator. If TA is still low, then you may need baking soda. But no big hurry there.

You most definitely need to get some stabilizer in the water. Is this a fresh fill? It's rare to see none otherwise. You haven't used any pucks? Again, pool calculator will tell you how much to add to get to 30.

Then you'll need to raise FC to shock level. Cloudy water is the first sign of an imminent green pool. To head it off, you need the shock process Lucky you, you can choose between cal-hypo powder or liquid bleach. Or dichlor for that matter, but if you use that, it will mess with the pH and you won't have as much control over how much CYA you're adding. So I wouldn't recommend the dichlor. It's not a one-time pour-and-go treatment, it's a process.

I hope you've been reading in

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Regarding low calcium, how do I get that elevated? It is an in-ground cement pool.
I am familiar with the shock process. Should I add the CYA first and then shock to get it to stay? And when should I add the borax? I have been using a product called pH up. Once in a while, I use baking soda. I just don't know what order is preferable when adding chemicals. Can I do it all at once?
This is not a new fill. I did not add CYA because I was waiting to get the chemicals balanced.
I should add that we just added a solar pool water heater a few weeks ago.
Thank you, again, for your kindness.

DowntheShore said:
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Regarding low calcium, how do I get that elevated? It is an in-ground cement pool.
I am familiar with the shock process. Should I add the CYA first and then shock to get it to stay? And when should I add the borax? I have been using a product called pH up. Once in a while, I use baking soda. I just don't know what order is preferable when adding chemicals. Can I do it all at once?
This is not a new fill. I did not add CYA because I was waiting to get the chemicals balanced.
I should add that we just added a solar pool water heater a few weeks ago.
Thank you, again, for your kindness.
If you already own pH up, use that. We're about saving money here.

If I was treating your pool, I'd get pH adjusted first. Then I'd hang the CYA in front of the return, then commence the shock process using cal-hypo. That will add Chlorine and Calcium. During the shock process, all that needs to be tested is FC and CC.

You need to know the volume of the pool so the pool calculator can tell you how much Calcium you're adding per pound of cal-hypo, which will tell you how many pounds you can use during the shock process before you have to switch to bleach. It's easy to add Calcium, hard to get rid of it.

Once the shock process is complete, a full battery of tests to see where you are with the pH, CH, CYA and TA. But that's a few days in the future.

I'll start with getting the pH adjusted. I have some baking soda on hand tonight; I'll use that.
How do I "hang CYA in front of the return"?
Cal-hypo to shock the pool? Any particular brand?
My volume is roughly 36,000 gallons.
Is it swim-able now? I have a few friends coming over tomorrow.
Thanks so much!!! :-D

DowntheShore said:
I'll start with getting the pH adjusted. I have some baking soda on hand tonight; I'll use that.
How do I "hang CYA in front of the return"?
Cal-hypo to shock the pool? Any particular brand?
My volume is roughly 36,000 gallons.
Is it swim-able now? I have a few friends coming over tomorrow.
Thanks so much!!! :-D
Baking soda will raise the alkalinity but it won't do much for the pH.

You need to read Pool School. Especially the Recommended chemicals page.

A pool is swimmable up to shock level. So if you're in the middle of the process, it won't be. But you for sure need to get some chlorine in that water before it turns green!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.