Hayward/Goldline Aqua Plus Schematic

Aug 6, 2012
The Villages, FL
Does anyone have a good schematic diagram of the Aqua Plus PL-Plus unit. We just finished our new pool last week and I want to make some changes to allow it to control some lighting around the pool. The manual really sucks. If anyone has any other technical information on the unit (or hacks) I'm open to that also.

Right now the unit is controlling the 2 speed pump with the filter and Aux 2 output, the solar with valve 3, the waterfall with Aux 1, the pool light, and the salt unit. I know there are supposed to be more outputs on the unit. Any help, insights, experience anyone can share would be appreciated.

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Which unit do you have?

The lighting will require using the Aux relays, the P4 and PS4 only have 4 of them ... and from what I read, you are using the 4 already (2 for the pump, 1 for the pool light, and 1 for the waterfall (although I am not sure how that is done with the relay and not a valve controller))

The manuals I have all say PL-Plus. Is there some place on the unit that gives the actual model number?
I haven't looked too close at the unit yet (still working yard recovery) but I think they connected the valve actuator for the waterfall to the relay driver output instead of connecting the contol relay to it.

Well, it has to say on the unit somewhere (not sure where ... I have not bought myself one yet).

P4 controls 3 valves and 4 relays
PS4 controls 4 valves and 4 relays (and uses a different controller and more options)
PS8 controls 4 valves and 8 relays

Note that valves 1 and 2 are slaved together to switch pool/spa mode. This seems REALLY dumb to me on the P4 units which are more for a single body of water.

I just spent a little time inside the Aqua Plus panel and manual and have figure out the Aux 1 controling my waterfall. In the Pool/Spa Config. menu there is a function called "V1=Aux1, V2=Aux2" and the control valve for the water fall is plugged into the Valve 1 plug. When you turn on the Aux 1 relay Valve 1 also opens, the Aux 1 relay is still active so both can be used.

So now I have taken this to the next step and moved the waterfall valve to Valve 2. Since Valve 2 follows Aux 2 and Aux 2 controls the pump speed, when ever the pump is in slow speed (Aux 2 active) the waterfall now runs. This frees up Aux 1 to control something else (pool deck lighting?). I'm not 100% on if I like the waterfall running all the time that the pump is in slow, but I'm going to give it a try for a day or two.

The one downside I think I'm going to run into is with the solar heating. The solar is set to run with the pump in slow if heat is available and I don't think the pump has enough discharge head to run them both and get the desired flow from the waterfall. I'm going to check it tomorrow if conditions are right.

I'm assuming the motherboard can support multiple control units as there is a plug for Valve4 and for Aux3 thru Aux6. Does anyone know anything about these extra connections?

One more thing, if you ever have a relay go out on you DON'T buy the Hayward replacement relay. It's about $60-$80, you do get some extra junk parts you won't need. Buy a Omron G7L-2A-BUB-J-CB-DC24 relay for about $17, they are the same parts as you get with the Hayward kit.

Next up for this weekend - controling the Heater1 & 2 Relays and External Input function.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
donwiley said:
Does anyone have a good schematic diagram of the Aqua Plus PL-Plus unit. We just finished our new pool last week and I want to make some changes to allow it to control some lighting around the pool. The manual really sucks. If anyone has any other technical information on the unit (or hacks) I'm open to that also.

Right now the unit is controlling the 2 speed pump with the filter and Aux 2 output, the solar with valve 3, the waterfall with Aux 1, the pool light, and the salt unit. I know there are supposed to be more outputs on the unit. Any help, insights, experience anyone can share would be appreciated.

So, did you ever find a schematic?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.