Aqua Plus Not Delivering Power to Pump/Light

Aug 6, 2012
I'm wondering if it's time for a new mother board, or if this one can be repaired....

Last night, we had a pretty good electrical storm where power flickered several times. This morning the pool pump was off, so I went to the Goldline Aqua Plus control panel to turn it back on. There was a "communication error" message on the display. I cycled the power at the breaker and the display booted up fine with no error messages. However, when I hit the pump power button, the panel beeped, but the pump did not come on. Similarly, the pool light will not come on.

I've been digging through the posts and am mildly capable of checking voltage, but I don't know which places to check for voltage in order to isolate the problem(s). From the posts I've read, it appears that I could have a fried mother board, a bad transformer, a bad relay, or a combination thereof. The relays have 240V going in, but nothing coming out the Load side (even when I turn the pump on). The big transformer (to the right of the motherboard) outputs 24VAC. I'm having trouble figuring out how to evaluate the smaller transformer that is hardwired to the motherboard. Both fuses are fine.

While I'm no electrician, I am comfortable with the circuit board and and have repaired the K1 joint a few times (the ever-recurring "no cell power" issue).

Can anyone offer some tips on what voltages to look for at key locations in order to troubleshoot this problem? I appreciate the help.

--Hank

Update: I purchased a new board from Amazon and installed it this afternoon. I powered up and checked the configuration on the new board.

Then the moment of truth... I hit the pump button and nothing happened. D'oh!

Then I hit the light button and heard the audible click of the light relay, looked over and the pool light was on! Woo-hoo!

This led me to believe that the relay for the pump was failing. I took the unused relay from AUX1 and wired it into the pump slot. Powered back on and the pump is now working!

I'm still convinced I had a board issue, because the light was not working on the original. But now I wonder if there was anything I could have repaired on the board. If anyone out there can advise me on it, I'd like to repair the old board and have it as a backup.

--Hank

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.