Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HALP! Poolsitting and Husband is a doofus!

1. Back To Top    #1

HALP! Poolsitting and Husband is a doofus!

Ok my husband and I are currently poolsitting for his Grandparents. Last night he turned on the hose to fill the pool for an hour. It was supposedly on a timer. WEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL fast forward to this morning the timer never went off and the hose ran all night and now the pool looks like this .

Thinking it was copper due to the color we went to the pool store and got some "Metal Free". That was at 10:00 am today. It hasn't cleared up at all and it's 6:00 pm. Wondering if you all think it's copper or that it's something else. We tested both the pH and the alkalinity as of this morning and they were both normal.
    Any and all help would be most appreciated. We know next to nothing about pools >_____________<

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HALP! Poolsitting and Husband is a doofus!

Welcome to tfp, sparklepants

If you water was clear before filling, then it is likely your fill has metals in it. I would guess the Gparents will know if this has been a problem in the past, can you contact them?

See this pool school article on metals: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...metal%20stains, it includes our recommendations on sequestrant brands.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Although, in the picture the water is not clear (as is usually the case for metals) ... although the sudden color change is suspect.

Was the water clear to start with?
    What do you have in your arsenal to test the pool levels? Can you provide: FC, CC, pH, TA, CH and CYA?

Wondering if the pool was on the verge of an algae outbreak and the new water lowered the FC enough to allow it to happen.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

As jbliz suggested, I too wonder if you dropped into an algae outbreak.

By the way, "Metal Free" is not recommended by this forum. See the link I posted above for recommenced sequestrants.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you! Im sorry, I always feel bad coming into a new forum and asking one question and then never showing my face again. Pool ownership is not my forte, if you get my drift. To add insult to injury, the pool pump is broken and a new one isn't coming until Thursday. Should we even bother treating it until then?

Also I realized I forgot to add the things in the sticky. Yes it was nice and clear before all this happened >_>

Live in Hingham Massachussetts

Signature
    Please put the following information in your signature.

1) 21K give or take
    2) Not sure what kind of filter we have, going to take it apart tomorrow
    3) clearly in ground
    4) vinyl
    5) dont know >_<

It's also becoming murkier as the day goes on . Total chlorine was nill 0 ppm Initial was 2 Br was 4 ph was in the normal range

6. Back To Top    #6

It sounding more like algae as you now describe it (and the low FC level). If it is, it may take awhile to clear and you will need a functioning pump/filter. How much longer until the gparents are back?

7. Back To Top    #7

2 Weeks, thankfully. They are a little anal and also in Africa so we are trying not to inform them of the situation

8. Back To Top    #8

Ahhh...I see, and I think I understand

What do you have available for test kits? Do you happen to have a drop based kit that can measure FC (free chlorine). Unfortunately the TC (total chlorine) test you mentioned is not going to be real helpful...and by the way, ignore the Bromine scale on that test, unless this is a Bromine pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

YES! Ill be right back

10. Back To Top    #10

It is going to very difficult to do much until the the pump is replaced.

You need to go through the Shocking Your Pool process. Here are a few other links to read:
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

The best you can do now is add some bleach every day and brush the pool really well to mix it in.

You are going to need to know what the stabilizer (CYA) level is in order to know how much chlorine you need to add and then have a way to measure high FC levels. This process is not going to be easy as it sounds like you are stuck without a good test kit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok so just tested the free chlorine.....it's basically clear. Like... .5 or lower. D'oh. That means the little critters have take over, right?

12. Back To Top    #12

What test did you just do?
    Are you supposed to compare yellow colors or pink/red colors?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a drop test that tests free chlorine/bromine(pink,red), pH(yellows and such) and alkalinity(green to red)

Just did the test to test free chlorine

14. Back To Top    #14

That sounds like the DPD test. Check the instructions here: (extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206392)

You should also be able to test for TC (and thus get an idea for the CC). Although at this point, it is obvious you need to start the shock process. The problem is you need to know the CYA level.

Read some of the articles in Pool School, if nothing I am saying makes sense ... kind of throwing you in with the sharks
    These would be a good start:
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    That sounds like the DPD test. Check the instructions here: (extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206392)

You should also be able to test for TC (and thus get an idea for the CC). Although at this point, it is obvious you need to start the shock process. The problem is you need to know the CYA level.

Read some of the articles in Pool School, if nothing I am saying makes sense ... kind of throwing you in with the sharks
    These would be a good start:
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Ok, yes I'm sorry it's the DPD test I have it now here before me.

Ok ready?
    FC= .5
    TC= 1

CC= .5

As far as I know I can't test the CYA level though

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok ok so clearly I need bleach, and a lot of it. Going to wally world right now. 21K approx gallons, how much bleach should I buy

17. Back To Top    #17

Hard to say how much bleach.

Do you have a pool store that will test your water for you? As much as we generally do not trust the pool store testing (especially CYA), we have to get some clue as to the CYA level. If you go, just do not buy anything they suggest.

For example:
    If your CYA is 20ppm or less, shock FC level is 10ppm, and you need 3.5 gallons of 6% bleach to get to shock level ... and then you have to keep testing and adding bleach to keep it at 10ppm (problem is your test only goes to 5ppm).

If the CYA is 50ppm, shock FC level is 20ppm, and you need 7 gallons of 6% bleach to get to shock level ... and again need more to keep it there.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

I lived in Higham until I retired a few years ago (I was the Fire Chief there). As I recall, There is a Leslies Pool store in Weymouth on Main St. There is also another pool store along Wasington St. before you get there. Sorry but I don't remember the name. If you are in The north end of Hingham there is also South Shore Pool Supply on 3A in Cohasset.

Not a very long pool season there. I found my pool of limited use when I lived there. But it seemed that almost every house on Wanders Drive, where I lived had a pool....go figure.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Hello again! Just got back from South Shore Pool Supply where I had my water tested.

Results:

FC = 8.6 ppm (we dumped in three gallons last night)
    TC = 9.34
    CC = 0.74
    pH=7.1
    Hardness = 57ppm
    Alkalinity = 75.1
    Cyanuric Acid = 43 ppm
    Cu = 0 ppm
    Fe = 0.1 ppm

Based on that they think it is algae. They didn't think the iron content was enough constitute a problem. I am glad I added the metal free though, as the water was much yellower before I added it. Now it is most certainly GREEN. I bought "ClearView Algaecide" which I was told not to add until we got the pump fixed on Thursday. I took pictures of the filter, maybe you can help discern what type it is. I think it might be diatomaceous earth. I don't know how this effects the filtration process

Whats you guyses take on the situation, if you would be so kind...

20. Back To Top    #20

Assuming that CYA is accurate the CYA/CHlorine chart says between 16 and 20ppm of FC is needed to shock. The whole process is detailed here - and while the pump is dead you can brush the pool to try to mix the chlorine in. Brushing is already part of the process anyway so just do extra brushing to keep the chemicals mixed up.

Don't bother with their algaecide. Bleach or other types of liquid chlorine will work on algae just fine.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast