HOw to remove scale from intex saltwater pump

Jul 26, 2012
I just got an intex saltwater chlorinator and pump.
everything looked fine until today when I got a low salt warning and the chlorine was very low. took sample to pool store and had water tested.
fac 0
PH 8.0
alk 140
cya 30
ch 250
salinity 3.8= 3800ppm should be 3000 ppm
Phosphates 100
the salinity is actually too high and i"m getting a low salt warning. after inspecint the pump I noticed whte build up on the copper squares and it appears there's a white scale build up on the black plates the precede the copper squares. I"m assuming the scale is causing not allowing proper flow over the sensors with is interfering with the salinity reading. I've added dry acid and shocked the pool, but don't know how to remove the scale from the black plates. I was told at the pool store that these saltwater systems have to practically run all the time to keep the chlorine level up. at any rate, how to I go about getting the scale taken care of inside the chlorinator?

The manual describes how to use vinegar to clean the cells. Once cleaned, you should lower your ph down to 7.2-7.4 and keep it down there to prevent the scale from reoccurring (keep it down there until you TA lowers some, which will happen do to regularly adding acid to lower ph). We recommend Muriatic acid to lower ph.

Also, you cya level of 30 ppm is low for running a swg. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.