Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: HOw to remove scale from intex saltwater pump

HOw to remove scale from intex saltwater pump

I just got an intex saltwater chlorinator and pump.
    everything looked fine until today when I got a low salt warning and the chlorine was very low. took sample to pool store and had water tested.
    fac 0
    PH 8.0
    alk 140
    cya 30
    ch 250
    salinity 3.8= 3800ppm should be 3000 ppm
    Phosphates 100
    the salinity is actually too high and i"m getting a low salt warning. after inspecint the pump I noticed whte build up on the copper squares and it appears there's a white scale build up on the black plates the precede the copper squares. I"m assuming the scale is causing not allowing proper flow over the sensors with is interfering with the salinity reading. I've added dry acid and shocked the pool, but don't know how to remove the scale from the black plates. I was told at the pool store that these saltwater systems have to practically run all the time to keep the chlorine level up. at any rate, how to I go about getting the scale taken care of inside the chlorinator?
    28K gal???? (Differing #'s from the water guy and what our blueprints say, so not sure what to believe)
    Inground vinyl
    1HP Hayward pump
    525 sqft 150 GPM Hayward cartridge filter
    Up and running July 30/2012

Re: HOw to remove scale from intex saltwater pump

The manual describes how to use vinegar to clean the cells. Once cleaned, you should lower your ph down to 7.2-7.4 and keep it down there to prevent the scale from reoccurring (keep it down there until you TA lowers some, which will happen do to regularly adding acid to lower ph). We recommend Muriatic acid to lower ph.

Also, you cya level of 30 ppm is low for running a swg. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_generator
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Re: HOw to remove scale from intex saltwater pump

awesome. thanks for the help.
    28K gal???? (Differing #'s from the water guy and what our blueprints say, so not sure what to believe)
    Inground vinyl
    1HP Hayward pump
    525 sqft 150 GPM Hayward cartridge filter
    Up and running July 30/2012