Newbie in Florida

Aug 6, 2012
I was so happy to find your site. I have a 15X48 intex above ground that holds approx. 3700 gallons. I've had water in it a few weeks now and mistakenly thought a puck in a float around holder would take care of chlorine needs. I read quite a bit in the school pool section and added 5 oz of 10% chlorine. Will take a reading later after the pump has been running a while. But I am still finding all this very overwhelming. Glad I started out with an above ground. :)
Diana

First - Breath deep and relax. Starting in Pool School is good. But it's a bit overwhelming to some people if they don't take it in stages. The first - most important thing - is to get or plan to get a good test kit. Without a kit you are going to be at the pool store's mercy and their accuracy can be terrible depending on the system and the operator.

Second - Start by reading the Getting Started section and then move on to the Pool Chemistry section. Don't get too hung up on fine details - just the basics. Ask questions if you get confused.

Ok, I have been adding shock nightly and still the chlorine will not register. So today i bought shock again but this time it was in powder form and i dissolved it myself and added it. After consulting the website when I got home though i did not see where the stuff i added was mentioned. I put in Calcium Hypochlorite 52% granules mixed with water. I am hoping it is the same thing as CYA but in powder form.

:) thanks for helping
Diana

di007001 said:
Ok, I have been adding shock nightly and still the chlorine will not register. So today i bought shock again but this time it was in powder form and i dissolved it myself and added it. After consulting the website when I got home though i did not see where the stuff i added was mentioned. I put in Calcium Hypochlorite 52% granules mixed with water. I am hoping it is the same thing as CYA but in powder form.

:) thanks for helping
Diana
No, it's not. It has chlorine, yes, but it will do nothing for your CYA level.

Back to Pool School. pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

hmmm, ok just found that I put the wrong type of shock in: calcium hypo. I need to put dichlor in now probably. Will test later and see. Now I probably won't be able to get that calcium out according to what I just read :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.