Tub Slowly Developing Cracks - ANYONE????

Bimmer

Jun 20, 2012
Over 100 reads and NO ONE even has an educated guess???

Can someone direct me or direct me to where I might find out about repairing cracks? The best I can tell, the tub is NOT leaking water. I DO know that the tub is constantly running and has a heater that never lets it get below 31-Celcius on its own. That being said, the manual says there is no cause for alarm of freezing during the winter months. But I AM afraid of the frequent temperature fluctuations causing the tub undue stress and these cracks get big enough to start leaking water. This tub is at least 10-years-old and we did just moved it on a trailer here and I'm sure it's put further stress on the shell. Back to the question though, what can I do about this and how worried should I be in its current condition? Thanks folks!

DSC_0513.jpg

DSC_0514.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

Re: Tub Slowly Developing Cracks

<<<<<< Smartest move I ever made for my pool/spa. TF100 a close second.... Just saying..

I have the same situation, so I'm tagging this for an answer...
Ten+ year old tub, cracks, no leaks. I would like to fill and smooth them out.

Good luck with the cracks!!

<<<<<< Smartest move I ever made for my pool/spa. TF100 a close second.... Just saying..

hmmmm... gonna havta think about this one. My tub has the same "pattern" as yours, only in brown.
I think I could fill the cracks, buff it out, but then I'm afraid I would have an even MORE noticeable crack.
and yeah, it's been kinda slow on the boards lately. Either that, or my posts aren't worth responding to. Maybe everyone's out enjoying their Spa/Pool.... heck I don't know....

If you think about how many member TFP has that are not fiberglass experts, but in fact homeowners like yourself 100+ reads is not really that much. :wink:

That said, I'm with the above poster, at 10 years old, those stress cracks are likely related to the move and perhaps settling on the new floor. Short of apply some kind of 2 part epoxy/resin. There is not much you can do to strenthen those areas that will not become an eyesore. But hopefully some folks in the know will come along soon. Remember, it's busy season for our pool/spa professional members :goodjob:

Thanks dman! Appreciate your thoughts. Being new to the boards I often don't know what to expect. As by my username, I've been a member of a classic BMW forum for years and never does a thread go even hours without some response. But even among the entirew BMW forum community, we are unlike the norm. We are very close-knit group willing to help anyone with any issues they may have no matter what kind of Bimmer they own. But again, we are very unlike most BMW owner/enthusiasts. I just wanted to give you some idea as to what I've been accustomed to and that certainly doesn't detract from those in this group as that would be like comparing apples and oranges.

My biggest fear is come wintertime, those cracks get worse. But with the heat staying a constant 31C, I guess I don't see the tub fluctuating that much as far as the shell is concerned. Just keeping my fingers crossed.

Unlike most forums I've been on, here when people read a post, if they don't have solid advice they won't respond with superfluous posts.

I understand your analogy to the bmw forum, but to make a comparison, this forum would be like you belonging to the "world car" forum dealing with every make and model.

Also, you asked about a very specific issue that only a very small number of members have ever had. And probably even fewer have had fixed.

However, a marine fiberglass repair shop is probably going to be your best bet and you may not find one willing to deal with it.

You're familiar with the automotive world, have you looked into some of the automotive products? I have no experience with these, but found them in other forums (I appreciate the BMW, but more of a corvette guy, hence the fiberglass repair)
3M 05883 which is a very strong adhesive/filler designed for fiberglass and SMC
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... B119JDD8bl
Or this ever coat product for rigid body parts.
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=13

One thing to note, most of these say to use a dremel to make a reverse v in the material to get maximum adhesion. That would scare the heck out of me on a hot tub where the decorative finish is the gel coat. Makes me think, have you looked at boat repair solutions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
radefeld said:
You're familiar with the automotive world, have you looked into some of the automotive products? I have no experience with these, but found them in other forums (I appreciate the BMW, but more of a corvette guy, hence the fiberglass repair)
3M 05883 which is a very strong adhesive/filler designed for fiberglass and SMC
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... B119JDD8bl
Or this ever coat product for rigid body parts.
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=13

One thing to note, most of these say to use a dremel to make a reverse v in the material to get maximum adhesion. That would scare the heck out of me on a hot tub where the decorative finish is the gel coat. Makes me think, have you looked at boat repair solutions?

I have not yet been to either of those other two sources. I came here first to see if anyone had any first hand thoughts on the subject. I think I'm going to take a magic marker and mark the ends of the cracks to test for progression. If it proceeds to worsen I'll pursue further. If they stay relatively the same, I won't worry too much and just chalk it up as symptoms of moving 3 hours on a trailer and then having to raise it up on one side to get it through the gate to my backyard. Thanks Radefeld!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.