Waxahachie, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Doing the numbers for the first "real" time... any suggestions would be appreciated!
NEW POOL - Filled Aug 3rd/DIAMOND BRITE finish,
Aug 4th PB crew added acid before they left. said to wait until 10:00pm before getting in water.
Aug 5th Kids came over to swim, PB crew said to add 2 bags Pristine Extra for Vinyl pools and 1 bag of Dy-Chlor II when we got out - did that.
FAS/DPD
After adding 870 - water turned hot pink.
Added 14 drops of 0871 X .5 = 7
FC = 7
Added 5 drops R-0003, it turned a light pink, added 1 more drop to clear
CC = 3
TC= 10
---------
New vial - 25 ml
Added 2 drops 0007
Added 5 drops 0008
MY water is hot pink! Supposed to be green.. ? :shock: :shock:

Do I keep going? Thank you!

PS - If this thread needs to be moved to another area, I'm sorry.

imrodee said:
Added 5 drops R-0003, it turned a light pink, added 1 more drop to clear

CC = 3
TC= 10
If you only added 1 drop of R-0871, then your cc is 0.5 (or less). So you are good there.

imrodee said:
New vial - 25 ml
Added 2 drops 0007
Added 5 drops 0008
MY water is hot pink! Supposed to be green.. ? :shock: :shock:
Your TA is 0 and you should raise it. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206395

What is your ph? It should be very low with that low TA. I would raise the ph with washing soda, since that will also raise you TA.

Fretting... OK, I just put pool water in vial, 10ml. Added 2 level scoops of powder - and it's still clear.

If you added 2 scoops of powder and it's clear....you may have zero FC levels. Review the TF-100's YouTube Channel for a video on each test. It shows every test in it's full. Can you post a full set of test results? Did the pool builder add any CYA yet?

Thank you Leebo. I watched the videos, (and even practiced along, pausing the videos with tap water) before my pool was finished.

No, the only things that have been added to the pool were listed above -

"NEW POOL - Filled Aug 3rd/DIAMOND BRITE finish,
Aug 4th PB crew added acid before they left. said to wait until 10:00pm before getting in water.
Aug 5th Kids came over to swim, PB crew said to add 2 bags Pristine Extra for Vinyl pools and 1 bag of Dy-Chlor II when we got out - did that."

As far as proceeding with the testing. if I cant' get the sample to turn green... how would I know if if went "back to clear?" OK, how about this.. I just tested the cl level in the other test kit I have - and it is 100% clear. Its over 100 degrees right now.

Let's start with the FC test. If you added 2 scoops of R-0870 and it stayed clear....your FC level is zero. Add enough bleach tonight after sunset to bring it up to about 4ppm. I'd also suggest a polyquat 60 for now, as most pool builders don't do much in terms of chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Leebo said:
Let's start with the FC test. If you added 2 scoops of R-0870 and it stayed clear....your FC level is zero. Add enough bleach tonight after sunset to bring it up to about 4ppm. I'd also suggest a polyquat 60 for now, as most pool builders don't do much in terms of chlorine.

Why wait - add some now. Then tonight adjust to appropriate target for CYA levels.

So, if I were to add bleach tonite... would I need a couple of bottles of 6%, 20?

Do you think that if I put it out right now (100+ degrees, full sun) I would lose it anyhow? Or would it keep cooties even think starting up? The sun goes down right now after 8pm. I only have 3 gallons on hand - maybe 4.

@Leebo - Yeah... :( I would sure like to get it all balanced. I'm going to use the SWCG after I'm allowed to start it up.. that should help stabilize the chlorine. 2 weeks before that happens, so I hear. ugh

I'm currently going on the idea that your CYA level is VERY low. If the builder added much CYA then maybe adding now wouldn't hurt. Only a full set of test results can answer that. HOWEVER.......

Keep a very close eye on the chemicals the builder tells you to put in. Keep in mind IT'S YOUR POOL!! Don't let them add a TON of chemicals that would raise your CYA levels too much. Planning on a SWG will help you as you're gonna want to raise it to about 70 anyways....but don't let them go higher than that! I would first raise the question to the builder about your TA and PH levels. Make sure they adjust that to raise it up. Adding bleach at this point during the day will just feed the sun. Hold off until night and let the chlorine kill all the stuff. This is why I'd suggest a dose of Poly 60. Do everything you can do to keep the water clean while the builder is finishing up.

I myself am going to refrain from offering suggestions on what to add. Use the FAS/DPD test to make sure you have 0 FC levels...and raise it up to about 4. I can't tell you how much bleach that is as I can't find how many gallons your pool is. I also would make sure to post a FULL set of results before the builder adds chemicals to the pool. This way we can give you some warning's about what they're adding. Having a plaster pool, all the results effect one another. Keep an eye on all!

Gosh, I thought those results posted! Sorry@ I'm working from 2 computers.. Dang.

FC 0
CC 1
TA
CH 35
CYA 60

I couldn't get the TA, because it was supposed to turn green, and it turned hot pink.. I did it 4 times. I was very careful to use the correct dropper bottles.

The builder thought my pool was 16,000 or so gallons.. I need to get a more exact number so I know what to do with it. It is free form (just my luck..)
I will measure it later when I have help holding the tape..

I'm going out to brush it now, then when the sun goes down, add bleach. The Poly 60.. is that something I'd get at a pool store? Thank you so much for your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.