Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plastic or stainless light niche?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plastic or stainless light niche?

My PB prefers plastic... I had asked for stainless. Is there any issue over time with salt water or chlorine and a stainless steel niche? Seems to me that the only drawback to plastic is initially at the time it is shot if it cracks... any other reason to go with stainless?
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plastic or stainless light niche?

Stainless is a misnomer. It will corrode and rust, just not as fast as normal steel. Go ask anyone with a sailboat.

I'd use plastic.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I vote for plastic as well. The problem with stainless is that they're most likely going to be 302 and will corrode over time as Richard said.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Stainless works great if it is in air, there is an issue called crevice corrosion that can affect stainless that is not exposed to air (such as when its underwater). That is why boats that have stainless fittings up top will use bronze or plastic fittings underwater.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Do the Pentair stainless steel niches have some special coating that will inhibit corrosion? They sell them as the Cadillac niche for their lights. They recommended them over the plastic, although they said they sell a lot of plastic as well. My PB already ordered them... I thought I could still change this morning... guess not.
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5