Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it better to have early sun or late sun???

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it better to have early sun or late sun???

My husband are deciding where we'd like to place a pool and know we want a lot of sun. However, one side of the yard is bathed in sun from about 8a.m. until 3:30-4:00 and then gets shady. The other side of the yard doesn't get sun until about 10a.m. but is then is the sun until 6p.m. I think early sun would be better but the hubby wants late Any recommendations?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it better to have early sun or late sun???

10 to 6 would definitely be my choice. But I rarely swim before noon and often swim in the evening. Hubby gets my vote!

Hubby 1
    Wife 0

13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Early sun for me - but that is mostly because my family is very fair skinned and my mom has had skin cancer removed from the tip of her nose -- so I love getting to send my kids out to swim in the shade in late afternoon.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

4. Back To Top    #4

It really depends on when you like to swim and how much sun you like (and where you're located!) My pool pretty much has some shade at all times of day, which I really like on brutally hot days. But I also need to use a heater to boost temp a lot of the time.

I'd likely side with you h, only because if you can get home from work early enough, there's a chance you'd still have a little sun on the water, even when it starts to get cooler. 8 am sun is not as powerful as 10 am sun in terms of warming the water, btw. If you're the type to swim when you get up (which I do) the sun really doesn't matter at 6 or 7 am
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

Part of the decision will also depend on where you're located.

I would welcome a little shade about 4:00 pm.
    In my situation, I'd choose the morning sun as that would start warming the pool earlier and it doesn't really start cooling till after dark anyway. The sun is brutal here in the afternoons and it's not comfortable to get in until after 6 or 7 pm.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Need location and is your pool going to be dark bottom, or light bottom- yes, it makes a difference.
    Dallas TX, 30,000 Free-form Pebble Tech, Flagstone coping, Tanning ledge, Spa with waterfall, full sun all day, Del Ozone Eclipse 4, Nature 2 XG, Jandy Cartridge 460, Jandy Aqualink RS 8 with PDA, Jandy Flo-Pro VS pump, Jandy Color Logic LED's, Polaris 380 Black Max. Home was purchased from local pool builder. YES- I know it has a bunch of **** but the pool is crystal clear and I keep the chlorine at .5
    SLOWLY transitioning to BBB.

7. Back To Top    #7

In Charlotte NC my neighbor has an AGP that gets mid morning sun - mid afternoon sun. Our kids and I have used the pool for years and enjoyed the fact that no sunscreen is needed after about 3:30pm. This is a JOY and pleasure.

My new pool (father-in-laws) has late morning - Late afternoon sun. The sun stops hitting the pool about 5-5:30pm in this location this time of year. The kids often want to swim without sun screen when they need it - it is more of a battle than it sounds.

I think it really isn't going to matter that much. Which location is more pleasing to the eye? Which will have fewer leaves, less runoff, easier site prep?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I would set it where you get morning sun. But, I am in Sacramento where it gets over 100F frequently. My pool gets full sun from 10 until about 2:00, is in various degrees of shade from 2:00-4:00 and full shade from 4:00 on. When it's near 100, I wait until 4:00 or until there is some place to shade my head while in the pool. I am getting an umbrella for next year to give my pool shade earlier in the day. I like the shady pool when I get home from work.

The kids don't care, they will play in the full sun.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all the AWESOME responses!!! We're on eastern Long Island in NY so summers get hot. 2:00-4:00 is probably the hottest so I'm thinking a little shade may be nice. We both have the WONDERFUL fortune of being off in the summer so I figure we'll be out there all times of the day & woudl like sun early When it comes down to it, placement may be decided by various building permits anyway, which would actully be a relief...heehee. Will definitely show the hubby all the responses when making the final decisin. Thanks again all.

10. Back To Top    #10

Funny thing is... I went swimming right after I sent that message. I had about 50% sun on the pool and it was the first time I swam before noon all summer.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100