Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What percentage for intellichlor?

1. Back To Top    #1

What percentage for intellichlor?

I have an intellochlor on a 8000 gallon pool. Been running the pump for 5 hours every day (not including the 5 hours my solar is running and filtering, but bypassing SWG). The cell is running at 70% and FC running around 1.5-2. Should I run the SWG at higher percentage or run the pump longer? Right now the pool turns over about 2x/day.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What percentage for intellichlor?

It does not really matter which method you use, but you do need to either increase the run time or the percentage.

Why not have it generate during solar mode?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can do either. Increasing percentage is likely going to use less power than increasing pump run time, so if your filtration needs are being met, I would up the percentage.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. The solar runs best around 12-14 gpm (gues-timate) and the intellichlor likes about 28-30 gpm or no flow light comes on. If it doesn't matter; i guess I will bump the filter time an hour or so and fine tune with the percentage.

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually you get better heat transfer to the pool with higher flow rates. Heating more water at a lower temperature is more efficient than less water at a higher temperature.

Just an FYI that may lead you to rethink how you are running things.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the info. Just seemed wrong to me when the solar return was just barely warmer than the pool temp when using higher flow rates.

7. Back To Top    #7

Think of it this way ... the cooler you can make the solar panels, the more heat you are adding to the water. How can you make the panels the coolest? By passing as much water through them as you can.
    Jason, TFP Moderator