Silica Sand #20: Lowes vs. Pool Stores

Oct 17, 2010
Next weekend I will install a Pentair Tagelus TA 100D sand filter. It requires 600 pounds of media. I plan to use a pea gravel base of 150 pounds and top that with 450 pounds of silica. Pool stores (Leslies and mom/pops) around town want $10-$12 for a 50 pound bag. Lowes charges $9 for a 100 pound bags if silica 20; they stock it in the masonry aisle. The bag mentioned a several uses for silica sand but did not list swimming pool filters.

Q1: are all silica 20s the same?

Q2: what is the best way to extract sand from the old filter? I'm thinking of a coffee can attached to a pole and scoop it out slowly.

We tried several Lowes here in North Florida without any luck... they had the sand you mentioned in the Masonry aisle - but we were afraid to try it. We finally found silica 20 at Home Depot for around $5 per 50lb bag... and it is specifically for pools (plainly marked on the bags - Pool Sand).

You might try there.

Unless the bag says that the sand can be used for pools, I would avoid it. Pool sand is subject to quality controls that masonry sand and others are not subject to.

To get the sand out, I've used a 5 gallon shop vac (the big ones with the 2" hose). You need to empty it often as it makes hit hard to carry with all the wet sand, but that let's you suck out the sand and just dump it. When you're done, just make sure you clean the vac well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.