My brother just dumped 56 Gallons of...

Jill

Jun 17, 2012
12% liquid chlorine in his pool at one time...is this ok? He has an inground gunite 35000 gallons. I took my tf100 over there yesterday and his CYA was at 100....FC was 0
His water is cloudy and this is why the pool store told him to dump 56 gallons in at one time....I mean, I have probably used close to that amount trying to get rid of Algae but not at on once...maybe over 2 weeks! The pool guy told him everything would be good by Tuesday... Talk about shocking your pool! Lol!!!! He is in the country and claims that he can not drain and fill his pool, if only 18 inches at a time bc his well water will stain the pool? So he plans on keeping his high CYA. Whatever.....I also saw some dark green stuff in the filter hole and he told me it was rust... Green rust?

Yeah that was probably not a good idea ... and was certainly not cheap. Hope it did not damage the pool or the equipment.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

He *could* truck in enough water to change half his water using a large plastic sheet and a submersible pump below to do a partial. Or he *could* pre filter his well water using a hose filter. Is he maintaining his FC levels to account for such high cya?

For the record, it took me 58 gallons of 6 percent over 12 days (but cool weather) to clear a completely black foreclosure swamp.

If he has well water, and uses that much chlorine all at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if any sequestered iron comes out of solution and stains his pool. Let us know how it goes. I always wanted to know jst how high you can go when shocking ;)

So, at 100 ppm cya, his shock level is 39. Tell him he just spent five times the money it would have taken to shock his pool and maybe he'll listen to you ;) granted, who knows what it might have taken to maintain 39 for several days...but even with lots of cya, suspect he's just throwing money out the window!

Do you think the pool store could have gotten a digit wrong somewhere and actually should have recommended he add 5.6 gallons? There was a thread about this happening earlier this year, but I think it had to do with adding stuff for the pH or TA, and not the FC.

It wasn't a mistake, the pool guy said he does 4 of these a week and then helped him load it up in the car....I truly hope this doesn't damage the pool or equipment, they have such bad luck with everything they do in all aspects!

The big problem I see with this is that even if it doesn't damage anything - it isn't efficient. They ran FC up to 200, which then will drop off precipitously even with CYA of 100+. EDIT: Assuming sunlight hits the pool strongly during the day. Let's pretend it drops 50% each day without the organics involved - I think it may drop even faster at the start and then taper off a bit, but this is just a thought experiment:

200 / 100 / 50 / 25 / 12.5 / 6.25

He will only be at shock value for 3 days if that is the case - maybe that's enough - maybe not. But if he spread it out - he could maintain shock of many many more days with the same total chemical purchase. Of course he'd have to monitor, and check and recheck FC and do more sweat labor - vs. dump and pump... .

Has he considered getting a water truck out? I doubt it's all that expensive compared to his 56 gallons of 12%!

Are you able to test his FC again? Use a 50/50 mix of chlorine free water and test. It maybe best to dump in some ammonia to lower the FC level ALOT.

DON'T LISTEN TO ME.....I'M STUPID!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I live an hour away and am not gonna drive out there just so he can listen to the pool store anyway. I tested it all on Sat. And he said he wouldn't do anything on Sun until he talked to me but went ahead and dumped all that in before talking to me. I was gonna post here and get instructions but.....according to him he should be swimming in a perfect pool tomorrow! Ha! I've learned too much here to even have a hope that things will be ok tomorrow.....Just another pool store sucker....shame shame. I mean he's not even gonna brush the pool once and would not even think of taking out the lights to get the algae behind those. I'm almost so irritated that I don't even want to help anymore /:

If they did add 56 gallons of 12% then it could use 400 drops to test the FC level if it were in fact a FC level of 200. Using a 50/50 mix of pool water and chlorine free water cuts the number of drops in half. It's not as accurate...but saves a TON of reagent.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME ABOUT AMMONIA! I'm dead tired and am an idiot.
I meant to say you can use peroxide to lower the FC level. I do think ammonia will lower FC level's...but also will make a big mess. :D You also can use Sodium Thiosulfate to lower the FC levels.

Here's a chart you may enjoy. :D
http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best-gu ... chart.html

Well, by now, probably half the bleach has been used up by sunlight or algae, so who cares about testing now?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Does it deliver a knock-out punch and clear the green in 24 hours, or does it just waste bleach? Does it fade the liner?

::epds::

Richard320 said:
Well, by now, probably half the bleach has been used up by sunlight or algae, so who cares about testing now?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Does it deliver a knock-out punch and clear the green in 24 hours, or does it just waste bleach? Does it fade the liner?

::epds::

Agreed. Curious to see the outcome.
Could be :grrrr: or :whoot: and :cheers: - I'm hoping the later.

RobbieH said:
Richard320 said:
Does it fade the liner?
I hope not, the first post says it is gunite. :)

The norm of posting pool info in the signature is confusing when people have another pool they are helping with. I ran into this when posting about a neighbor's AGP recently. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.