Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: 1st day with new pool.. WHO PEED IN MY POOL?

1st day with new pool.. WHO PEED IN MY POOL?

I had a bunch of peeps in the pool today, brushed it as required and took a test sample. I tried to do the FAS/DPD test. I added the powder and it said it should turn pink. It didn't. I tried the test kit the PB gave me , the water barely turned yellow.

What should I test next? The PB put ALOT of acid it last night (I wasn't here so I can't tell you how much..) I am not on the salt system yet.

This morning the PB's crew knew we were going to have family over, they said tonite, when everyone is finished swimming I need to add 2 bags of "PRISTINE EXTRA" Shock, and 1 bag of "REFRESH." I want to just check with ya'll to see if I should test something else before I do this step.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

Re: 1st day with new pool.. WHO PEED IN MY POOL?

i assume you have one of the recommended test kits so please post up a complete set of test results to help us help you better.....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

Pristine extra is dichlor. Refresh is Cal hypo.

Just guessing, let's say your pool is 15,000 gallons.
    2 lbs of pristine will raise free chlorine by 9 and cyanuric acid by 8
    1 lb of cal hypo will add 4 and 3 respectively.

If the pool is bigger or smaller, those figures will change.

The amount of free chlorine added is probably okay. We don't know if you need the CYA. We don't know if you need the Calcium, although since you're in Texas, I would gamble heavily that you don't.

How long are you stuck with the pool builder? You'll have to follow his directions for a certain period of time, but after that, you're on your own. I highly recommend you start reading Pool School and get a decent test kit!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

You had a pool party the day after filling your pool? I'm a little ignorant of diamond brite - but it seems way too early to swim in a plaster based pool.

Since you are so early in the process you're levels are going to be whacky. You pool most likely has no CYA in it - so you'd fully expect the pool to loose all of it's chlorine very quickly. I'd ask the PB if they've put in dichlor in the pool yet and if so how much.

While you are sorting out the details keep a little chlorine in the pool (a couple PPM) with bleach. If the pool sits for a few days without FC algae will begin to grow.

There is a section on Plaster Pool start up in Pool School
    15500 Gal Gunite/Plaster circa 1960

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Pristine extra is dichlor. Refresh is Cal hypo.

Just guessing, let's say your pool is 15,000 gallons.
    2 lbs of pristine will raise free chlorine by 9 and cyanuric acid by 8
    1 lb of cal hypo will add 4 and 3 respectively.

If the pool is bigger or smaller, those figures will change.

The amount of free chlorine added is probably okay. We don't know if you need the CYA. We don't know if you need the Calcium, although since you're in Texas, I would gamble heavily that you don't.

How long are you stuck with the pool builder? You'll have to follow his directions for a certain period of time, but after that, you're on your own. I highly recommend you start reading Pool School and get a decent test kit!
    Thank you Richard.. I'll add what the the PB asked me to for now huh? I won't have CYA for a little bit, since it's a new pool. The PB crew were here earlier today and knew we were having family over. I think is is about 15,000 gal.
    If you think I should run a full test, I sure will!

Thank you so much!!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net

Quote Originally Posted by lightingguy
    You had a pool party the day after filling your pool? I'm a little ignorant of diamond brite - but it seems way too early to swim in a plaster based pool.

Yes, it was just family, 2 grandbabies and 3 adults. Please don't get mad at me, the PB said it was perfectly fine.

Since you are so early in the process you're levels are going to be whacky. You pool most likely has no CYA in it - so you'd fully expect the pool to loose all of it's chlorine very quickly. I'd ask the PB if they've put in dichlor in the pool yet and if so how much.
    I'll check when I see the Pool people in the am..

While you are sorting out the details keep a little chlorine in the pool (a couple PPM) with bleach. If the pool sits for a few days without FC algae will begin to grow.

There is a section on Plaster Pool start up in Pool School
    Yes, I'm studying that. However... I also need to follow what the PB says (for now, to keep the warranty... don't you think? I'm not real sure when he "lets us go." But I'm ALL about the BBB system (modified for salt)
    Helen