What do I do if total Combined Chlorine is VERY high. For example take this current situation:
I just drained half the water from my pool last week, added new water. Balanced water over the weekend. Then added 3 gals of bleach on Sunday. On Tuesday I added two 1-lb bags of shock. It's a18000 gallon pool with vinyl liner.
water is clean, no algee, water is cloudy
CYA = I think is around 40
calcium hardness = 120ppm
So my breakpoint for shocking is 30. If I use calcium hypochlorite(avail chlor=49%) for shock, a rough estimate tells me I will need 10 to 11 one-lb bags of this shock to reach breakpont.
That seems like a lot! Is this OK, should I add 10 bags? I have never needed that much shock before. Currently automatic chlorinater has no 3" tabs in it. Should I add tabs and turn it on or wait?
Will the CC go down on its own after a few days if I do not add any chlorine. I do not care about swimming water is still to cold anyways.
Also, if shocking with 10 bags of shock is the recommendation, should I lower my ph from 7.4 to 7.2 before I do the shock?
Also, I have someone recommending that I use a non-chlorine shock, such as a product called "Oxy Shock". They also said I could use a product to remove chlorine from the pool.
Are either of these good ideas?
I read in Taylor's "Pool & Spa water chemisrty handbook" that one of the disadvantages of Potassium Monopersulate shocking is that: unlike breakpoint chlorination, it will not remove much combined chlorine. And that is my issue, my CC is very high.
What is my best coarse of action with my very high levels of these CC?
Thanks, this is driving me nuts!!!