Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacs for Above ground pool what do you have

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacs for Above ground pool what do you have

What kind of vac do you use for you metal frame pool. We purchased the catfish 3 months ago and it has died already. Very disappointed for the price I paid for it. While it worked it was great.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacs for Above ground pool what do you have

We have a v-trap but we just got it... haven't been able to try it out. Darn rainy weather!
    Intex 15x42 metal frame pool, 3,800 gallon capacity; 1,500 gph pump
    V-Trap vacuum system

3. Back To Top    #3

I use the Intex vacuum that came with my pool when I need to do it quickly.

I use Hayward Critter -- Wanda the Whale when I can put her in for an hour or better yet, two hours.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

4. Back To Top    #4

I just ordered a Aqua broom I hope it works we have about 2 more months of hot weather to swim.I don't want to invest to much we are hoping on moving next spring and looking for a house with a real pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

I just got the kreepy krawly and am not happy with it at all, keeps coiling up and only cleans one side of the pool no matter what I do.

6. Back To Top    #6

i use thee catfish ultra and love it.....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

7. Back To Top    #7

Hayward Bug here - her name is Rosie she is doing better with the leaf attachment - or maybe I think she's doing better since I can see what she's doing and if she has an air leak or not. She does a very good job but woe to anyone who does not get a good seal when putting together the pipes - then she doesn't work. With everything we have going on my time is limited so using a vacume that doesn't require me is great!

For spot cleans I use this http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... -Spot-Vac/
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

I am on my second year with the cat fish. Works well.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a lil shark, works good most of the time.

10. Back To Top    #10

I also have a Hayward. Great cleaner, few issues in over seven years of abuse. My kids play with.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Goochland, Virginia (outside of Richmond)

We purchased the Dirt Devil automatic (suction side) cleaner for our above ground Intex. I used this for over three years, and it does a pretty good job. It moves randomly across the pool floor but you can vary the pattern a bit by adding or subtracting one length of hose. I would put this in and let it go for a few hours maybe twice a week and i hardly ever had to manual Vac at all.

Note if your pool is very dirty you may need to clean the filter during the clean time as loss of suction will stop this thing dead. It only has one moving part, a weight that moves back and forth due to water flow and it scoots the cleaner around. I believe the wife found this for about $100.00 on sale and it did a good job for our AGP. It is now in another county still cleaning my previous pool for a new owner.
    16,800 16'x32' IG Vinyl Pool, Buddy Seat, 7' Deep End
    Hayward Sand Filter(1.5 cups of DE), Pentair Pump, SWG Autopilot Digital
    Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed stir, Borate and Salt Water Strips
    Polaris 9300 cleaner
    Pool Filled First Time June 14th, 2012
    Previous Pool AG Intex 16' Oval, SWG (5 Years)

12. Back To Top    #12

We love our Wanda Wonder Whale by Hayward. We used her on our first Intex Metal Frame pool, and upgraded to a Hayward 1 hp pump since the Intex pump was not powerful enough to run her. We also put in a through wall skimmer on our Ultra Frame pool. Can't figure out for the life of me why they put those silly skimmer baskets on those nice pools. She even gets the corners on our rectangular pool. One word of caution. Don't coil the hoses when you take her out of the pool for they will stay that way and get kinked. We made "saddles" like the ones folks have made for solar covers. They hold the hoses with out kinking them. We paid $99 for her last year on Amazon.

Let us know what you end up getting!

Cheers,
    Liz
    Northern California Inground pool 20' by 40'
    Diamond Brite Quartz Medium Grey Plaster - Islands Sapphire Breeze Tile Border
    Jules Bright Cobalt Blue Blend Tile Bench fountain sheer waterfall descent
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump - Pentair CLean & CLear PLus Cartridge Filter - Kreepy Krauly Legend - mTF-100 Test Kit - Swimmers: Twins (Boy/Girl) 14 yrs old

13. Back To Top    #13

We use the "Kokido Zap Vac Automatic Pool Cleaner" and works pretty good. I use it about once every weekend.
    http://www.namcopool.com/pool/pool-clea ... eaner.html
    8000 Gallon 18' Round 52" Deep Morada Pool (Namco) DE Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Originally had an Aqua Bug...it didn't do a very good job. Next I bought a Lil Shark. It works well when I use the suction cleaner. I also bought a leaf trap to put inline with it. The beginning of last season, I bought a Pool Rover Jr. I Love the robot. It cleans so much better than the suction cleaner.
    24ft AGP 52in deep ~13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand Filter 250 lbs
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

425 gal stand alone QCA Hot Tub 15-20 yrs old

15. Back To Top    #15

Little Shark and I LOVE it... had the Barracuda and Kreepy Krawley.
    The shark has worked wonders for several years.
    Southern NJ, 1 HP Haward Pump, 16x 32 dimensions, 21,000 gallon vinyl liner inground pool, TF-100 test kit.

16. Back To Top    #16

We are on our second year of using a Pool Rover Jr. Simply put, it is an awesome cleaner.
    24' x 54" Aqua Leader Influence Above Ground Pool
    Hayward Pro Series S180T Sand Filter w/Zeobrite
    Hayward Power-Flo Martix SP1592FP Pump
    Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 Test Kit
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr. Pool Cleaner
    All equipment is hard plumbed

17. Back To Top    #17

I am on my 5th or 6th year with the Pool Rover. I wouldn't have a pool without it.....
    18 X 54 Round-Wilbar-Sharkline Above Ground Tahitian
    Stainless steel access panel/ 1.5 hp pump
    Self Installed 6/09
    Crushed by Irene, and a 50ft oak 8/28/11
    Re installing 4/12 and up and running

18. Back To Top    #18

I have a barracuda cleaner and it works well.
    The key to suction side cleaners that have detachable section hoses is not to store them coiled up.
    I take mine apart after every cleaning and store them in one of those plastic Christmas paper roll storage containers.
    If you store the hose sections coiled up the cleaner will stay on one side of the pool from the Hose being coiled.
    Learned this the hard way and had to buy all new hose sections.
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by momto4monkeys
    What kind of vac do you use for you metal frame pool. We purchased the catfish 3 months ago and it has died already. Very disappointed for the price I paid for it. While it worked it was great.
    Lil Shark. Shortened the hose to avoid the stairs. Working great for this season. We shall see next year. Very little moving parts is what sold me.Less parts to wear out.

20. Back To Top    #20

Sounds like this is not what you are looking for, but I keep it simple and just manually vacuum with a triangular vacuum head.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast