Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae growth

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae growth

we have had a ton of rain here in East Tennessee. I have been keeping levels around 3 with liquid store bleach, however today I noticed some algae growth behind our wedding cake stairs and around corners of the wall, Not really green algae but more yellow green. Just on floor/wall crease on one side and then around stairs....I have 0 cc, and 3 Fc, so not sure what to do. I just vacuumed it really good and cleaned all the spots that I saw. Is this a huge concern? Never had algae in the past, but we haven't had 4 inches of rain each week in the past either?
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    3/4 horsepower Dough Boy PowerPak II pump
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae growth

What is your cya level?

Since you have algae, you need to do the shocking process.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Cya is around 30, PH is 7.8, I just added bleach to 12 per the calculator, so hoping that works. What do you think?
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    3/4 horsepower Dough Boy PowerPak II pump
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

4. Back To Top    #4

With a cya of 30 ppm, you should never let your FC drop below 2 ppm ...2-6 ppm is the normal range according to poolcalculator.com.

To raise your 9100 gallon pool (I assumed 3.5 ft water depth) to your shock level for 30 ppm cya of 13 ppm FC (from 3 ppm FC), poolcalculator.com gives me 189 ounces of 6% bleach (about 1.5 gallons).

12 ounces will only raise it ~0.6 ppm FC.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.