Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help new fill with new liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Help new fill with new liner

Still cloudy because of dirt from the water fill. New liner installed. Pump up and running here are my numbers

FC 0
    PH 0
    TA 120
    CH 80
    CYA 0

Where do I start and how do I raise the PH? Thanks
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help new fill with new liner

what did u use to get those numbers? a PH of zero.. would burn your skin instantly..... plus all other metals it came into contact with....
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

3. Back To Top    #3

Repost you ph number, you posted 0.

You should start getting some chlorine in the pool per poolcalculator.com. Next, you should start getting some cya in the water. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...mmended_levels
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Was very little color slight pink tinge with the ph
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

5. Back To Top    #5

sorry did Ph test again light but think 7.2 sorry
    Central, VA

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by koliver13
    ain light but think 7.2 sorry
    7.2 is okay for now. If you are having trouble reading it, you can add another drop of reagent...doing that just makes the color "deeper" and is sometimes easier to read.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks so I added 1 gallon of 12% bleach. Hung my with granular stabilizer in front of the return. Any thing else i should do now retest in several hours?
    Central, VA

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by koliver13
    thanks so I added 1 gallon of 12% bleach. Hung my with granular stabilizer in front of the return. Any thing else i should do now retest in several hours?
    How much cya is in your sock and what is your target? Don't test for it for a few days, it can take a week to show up in test.

9. Back To Top    #9

About 2lbs in sock full sun so I would like my CYA about what 40 or 50?
    Central, VA

10. Back To Top    #10

50 ppm cya for full sun, but be careful, cya is easy add, but drain/refill to remove.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ill check the cya is a couple days and see where it is before I add any more stabilizer. Thanks
    Central, VA

12. Back To Top    #12

No way should I be second guessing the pros, so take what I say with a giant grain of salt: but, 50 seems high to me. I'd target 40 and use it like that for a bit to be sure you want it higher. Easy to add, hard to subtract. You want it as low as is easy to maintain daily, especially if you travel much and want some leeway to use pucks very infrequently for vacations.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

13. Back To Top    #13

according to the pool calculator assuming the pool is 23000 gallons and he has no cya at all it would take 123 oz by weight of stabilizer to achieve 40 ppm and according to the pool calc 32 oz would only raise the cya to 10 ppm.......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for all the input. I will measure tonight to see If I have any CYA but I also thought i would need to add more stabilizer to reach 40-50. the water is clear but still dirty. Measured FC last night at 4.5 with .5 CC. This morning was cloudy so remeasured got reading of 3.0 and .5. should I continue to moniter before adding any more bleach and finding out what my CYA is?
    Central, VA

15. Back To Top    #15

New liner and fill Questions

Added 4 lbs of stabilizer. Been adding Bleach. Will test CYA tonight started with 0
    FC 4-5
    CC .5
    PH 7.5
    TA 120
    CH 80
    CYA?

Question is do I need to shock when I've reached my CYA? Do I do an overnight FC test at that time? I keep adding bleach to keep the number up until I have a CYA read is that correct? Have full sun would like to keep at 40. Going slow on the CYA add to make sure I don't over do. I'm still cleaning out the dirt from the fill but it looks clear but still have dirt in robot and skimmer stockings. I should have it cleared out by tomorrow. Thanks
    Central, VA

16. Back To Top    #16

Re: New liner and fill Questions

According to the poolcalculator 4 lbs. should give you a CYA level of 21. The CYA might take up to a week to show on your testing. You can assume that is what you have in your pool and adjust your chlorine level accordingly. If you have dirt in your fill water, then yes, you should be shocking and doing the overnight test. Your shock level should be 12 (based on a CYA of 21) from the poolcalculator. If you successfully shock now, you won't need to re-shock if you add more CYA next week, just adjust your daily chlorine level based on your new CYA level.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Re: New liner and fill Questions

I know I have 4lbs of stabilizer left I will add 2lbs and test. Will shock tonight and continue to moniter. Thanks for the help
    Central, VA

18. Back To Top    #18

cya takes up to a week to show up. Since you know you have added 4 lbs... add the 2 lbs more you mentioned...that should take you to ~31 ppm. Wait a few days to test for it, but assume the cya is in there for FC levels.

Since your water is clear, but you have had dirt, I would do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT), I would run your FC up to 12 ppm (your current shocking level) to do the test.

19. Back To Top    #19

Ok I understand and will follow your directions. thanks again.
    Central, VA