This weekend I filled a 15' x 48" Intex above ground pool...
It completed filling about 11:30pm Friday night, so I put enough 6% bleach in (55oz) to get my FC to 6ppm per the Beginner's guide @ pool-school/temporary_pool_guide
I ran the filter/pump all night, tested numbers late the following morning and numbers looked good (pH in the middle of ideal range/FC was registering, but not quite 6ppm, closer to 3-4ppm; no CYA yet to test of course), so two people swam in it for about two hours on Saturday afternoon.
Saturday night, I started putting dichlor in (again the recommended amount; 8.8 oz due to it being a 4400 gal pool)... I dissolved the granules into a bucket of pool water first and dumped it into the skimmer.
I tested this morning and the chlorine levels seem pretty high; I am only using test strips, so I can only tell that it's between 5ppm-10ppm. There is also a small amount of CYA registering now, but I would guess less than 10 (seems expected).
We haven't swam in it yet today (Sunday), basically the questions I have are:
1) Is it safe to swim with that much chlorine present? Will it irritate skin/eyes/etc? How does it compare to the amount of chlorine that is present in, say, a public swimming pool?
2) Should I keep adding more dichlor since the chlorine doesn't seme to be getting used-up all that quickly, or should I just add some standalone CYA tonight (and presumably until chlorine levels start to go down some more)?
3) When should I start adding algaecide?