Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Builds - Did you get gunite or shotcrete?? Do ya care?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Builds - Did you get gunite or shotcrete?? Do ya care?

Just curious what the current opinion is on this ongoing debate.

Gunite is dry mix with water and air added, takes a more experienced nozzle man and rebound material can't be used on the floor.
    Shotcrete is wet mixed directly from the concrete truck with air added at the nozzle.

Which one should you use? Whatever is available in your area? Whatever your PB says? Seems like there is a lot of "trust me" here with an important part of the build.
    IG gunite Edmond, OK(OKC), 18x36 freeform ~20K, 4-8' deep, Pentair equip, (2) 3hp VS+ pump, 520 cart filter, 3 LED, Easytouch8, ItellichlorIC40 SWG, Polaris 3900 cleaner, Spa 8'x18"raised, 20' raised bond beam 2 sheers, Stonescape Tahoe Blue quartz plaster, TF-100 kit.
    Feb. 25, 2014 dig started, May 24, 2014 filled.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Builds - Did you get gunite or shotcrete?? Do ya car

Mine was shotcrete. I spoke with the gunite guy (even though it was shotcrete, his company was called SW Gunite, go figure) about it and he said the dry gun was old technology and things had moved on from that. He did mention that the dry method had 30% waste in rebound but that shotcrete was 95-98% usable.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Everyone here uses shotcrete (wet-mix method), it's easier, cheaper, and can be done faster.

4. Back To Top    #4

is that right? builder is telling me otherwise. he is saying shotcrete will be more expensive...
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

5. Back To Top    #5

The quality of the end result, and the total cost, depend far more on the skill and experience of the crew operating the equipment than on the specific method (gunite/shotcrete) they are using. There are pros and cons to each method, which is often what people pushing one approach over the other will focus on, but an experienced crew can easily deal with all of those issues and produce a quality product quickly and inexpensively either way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Azmp1
    is that right? builder is telling me otherwise. he is saying shotcrete will be more expensive...
    I don't see how as the wet mix uses less equipment, and from what I've seen less people.

Sounds like your PB is more comfortable with the dry method, so please let him use what he's used to working with.

7. Back To Top    #7

Wet mix is cheaper in that you have to have 30% more material to do dry mix since there is more in waste unless they just dump the rebound in the floor of your shell and cover it with good material which is of course not structurally sound. 30% more material adds up as it means more trucks to deliver, more material, more time, etc. If they do it right and don't dump the rebound in your shell, then that is a lot of material to clean up and remove as well.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html