Motor Trips GFCI

Aug 5, 2012
Hello everyone. We had a wicked storm last night and afterwards my pump motor won't turn on. As soon as I plug it in, the GFCI outlet trips. I've tried both outlets with the same result. I let it sit overnight thinking it may have gotten wet and tried it just a little while ago but the outlet still trips. I plugged a radio in to both outlets and it worked. I plugged the motor into an extension cord and ran it to another outlet but the motor would not start. It's an Emerson C55CXJKP-4734 1 1/2 HP motor. I'm not very good with electricity so I'm not sure what the issue could be or how to fix it. I'd rather not have to buy a new motor. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

scc1068 said:
Looks like I got lucky. I tried the motor again and it started right up. Guess I didn't wait long enough for it to dry out :oops:

you weren't lucky. That's what the GFCI is for. If you didn't have one and your motor still works, then you're very lucky :cheers:

But then you have to do something about that leak for the next rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.