Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor Trips GFCI

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor Trips GFCI

Hello everyone. We had a wicked storm last night and afterwards my pump motor won't turn on. As soon as I plug it in, the GFCI outlet trips. I've tried both outlets with the same result. I let it sit overnight thinking it may have gotten wet and tried it just a little while ago but the outlet still trips. I plugged a radio in to both outlets and it worked. I plugged the motor into an extension cord and ran it to another outlet but the motor would not start. It's an Emerson C55CXJKP-4734 1 1/2 HP motor. I'm not very good with electricity so I'm not sure what the issue could be or how to fix it. I'd rather not have to buy a new motor. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Motor Trips GFCI

There's a short somewhere in the motor. You're most likely going to have to replace it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like I got lucky. I tried the motor again and it started right up. Guess I didn't wait long enough for it to dry out

4. Back To Top    #4

Glad I was wrong about that! Good news.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by scc1068
    Looks like I got lucky. I tried the motor again and it started right up. Guess I didn't wait long enough for it to dry out
    you weren't lucky. That's what the GFCI is for. If you didn't have one and your motor still works, then you're very lucky

But then you have to do something about that leak for the next rain.
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.