Newly filled pool

waterbugs57

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2012
SW Pennsylvania
Good morning! I need some guidance with my pool. It was filled yesterday, 20000 gallons by a water hauler and the rest from my garden hose. The pool is 21x 43 AG oval. Supposed to hold 28,000 ? Anyway it is filled, pump is running and I can't seem to download the info I need to get started. It is using a cartridge filter, and supposed to have a copper secondary filter which isn't installed yet. I only have test strips at this time and they are telling me that the PH is 6.8, free chlorine is .05 alkalinity is 40 and culturing acid is30-50. Where do I start with this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.- Melinda

Welcome to tfp, waterbugs57 :wave:

For your pool volume, what is your water depth, and do you have a deep end? Your 28000 might be a little on the high side.

waterbugs57 said:
copper secondary filter which isn't installed yet.
Not sure what this is...are you adding a "mineral system". We would strongly recommend not adding anything that adds copper to your pool. You do not need it. Post the name of the system.

waterbugs57 said:
I only have test strips at this time and they are telling me that the PH is 6.8, free chlorine is .05 alkalinity is 40 and culturing acid is30-50.
You need to get an appropriate test kit...the strips are useless (and usually wrong). See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison I would just get the TF-100, fast shipping and best bang for buck.

vision Pro. I have not put the copper filter in. It is supposed to reduce the amount of chlorine that I will need and I believe but am not sure that it regulates or dispenses the chlorine. The depth of the pool is fifty four inches. The water is mid way past the bottom of the skimmer and about chest high on me. The seller said 28000 capacity. The water delivery person said he thought the sand base was too high. He was turned away by the installer on the 1st delivery attempt because they couldn't get the line to fit, too big. I sure don't know myself. Where do I get the kit and what is the cost? I am in the process of reading the pool school material but in the meantime will it be a problem if I have not added any chemistry to the pool yet?

54" tall walls typically get 48" water depth, though if you sand base is high, it may be less then that. You can always measure it for conformation. 27200 gallons is what I get if the water is 48" deep.

Do not install the vision pro. The copper it adds is really only good for staining surfaces and turning blond hair green. You will still need chlorine. If you are interested in more info, read this post: http://www.troublefreepool.com/alte...emical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html#p24147

waterbugs57 said:
Where do I get the kit and what is the cost?
In my opinion the best place is tftestkits.net and the best value is the TF-100 (disclosure: user duraleigh owns tftestkits and this site, but in my experience, you will not find faster shipping and cheaper prices for the amount you get other places).

A good pool school article to start with is: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

Have you added any chlorine yet? If you haven't, I would put in 168 ounces of 6% bleach. I used poolcalculator.com, 27000 gallons, 0 cya, and picked 3 ppm FC for your target.

Have you added any cya yet? Also known as stabilizer/conditioner. Cya is also in trichlor (typically pucks) and dichlor (powder). Our recommended level is 30-50 ppm. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels

No I have not added anything yet. Just did the dip test and turned the filter on. The chemical starter kit seems to be made to support the vision pro mineral sanitizer system. I hesitate to open it for fear that it may not be what I need , or want. I am still reading but feel clueless tonight.
I do appreciate your time, thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.