Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: painting edge coping

1. Back To Top    #1

painting edge coping

Hello All,
    I was just wondering what type of paint to use on the aluminum coping around the edge of the pool? I was going to use Rustoleum spray can gloss white or Krylon flat or semi-gloss. I just don't want the flat paint to turn chalky or be hard to clean off scuffs. Thanks for your input.

16x32 16000 gal IG vinyl liner
    Hayward S244T Sand filter
    Hayward 1 1/2 hp 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    I have the same question. I found on another forum that Vastec makes aluminum pool coping, and appears to sell paint for it.

I haven't called them yet, but here's the link.,sho ... /Itemid,9/

they also have a US-based site, but no mention of paint:
    Hayward S220T Sand Filter, Hayward Max-Flo 1 HP Pump, 14,000 Gal Vinyl Inground

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: painting edge coping

Did either of you complete the painting of your coping? If so, what did you use and how did the project go? I want to do the same thing...I'm worried about the overspray getting into the pool water and ultimately on the liner.

4. Back To Top    #4

I am wondering the same.. my coping looks rough.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

5. Back To Top    #5

jjdurrant, nobody seems to have experise in this prevent the overspray concern, I'm thinking I would try using a small 3 inch super-smooth roller. My concern with this thought is that it might reveal lines where the roller has been. This might be prevented if when applying care was taken to not have too much paint on roller. Oh well...if noone else with experience chimes in, we can kick some ideas around. Who knows...maybe there's a business opportunity here!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yea.. that might work. I am surprised no one has exp with this.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

7. Back To Top    #7

Rocklin, Ca

I would mask off the pool with cheap drop cloths taped together as required. I would even consider using some of those cheap toy pool noodles to keep the plastic out of the water.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

8. Back To Top    #8

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi, new to the forum and just saw this post. We suggest using a small foam brush for touch ups, or a 3-inch foam roller for a complete repaint of the coping. The foam doesn't leave any streaks or drips and gives you a nice clean finish. Of course, you will want to tape off the first couple of inches of concrete and the first couple of inches of pool wall just to keep them clean. We can provide a touch-up paint kit if your coping is Vastec White, Tan or Gray, although sometimes due to natural aging it is difficult to get an exact match. We can also provide a complete repaint kit if that is what you need. Contact us at 888-282-7832 or at and we will be happy to help you find the right color and quantity. Thanks, Vastec Pool Coping.

10. Back To Top    #10

Coastalish 'down easter'

VPC, welcome to TFP!!

This post is from when I was on 'sabbatical' so I missed it. Thanks for bumping the post

If I'd seen this, I'd have said:

"Aluminum coping can be repainted with Rustolium TM spray paint.

Clean the coping with a TSP mix - be careful not to get the TSP in the pool!.

Mask off the deck and use a shield for keeping the paint out of the pool! Use usual painting precautions to avoid drips! Also, don't use spraypaint on a windy day

If you've questions about prep or technique, simply ask and I'll share what I know "

While brushes certainly can be used, I've found spraypaint to be easy and effective. Also, as with any painting job, surface prep is KEY to a good and lasting end product
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry but what is a "TSP mix"?

12. Back To Top    #12
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Quote Originally Posted by beantown9
    Sorry but what is a "TSP mix"?
    Cleaner mixed with water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks, for the reply. Can TSP be purchased at lows or Home Depot. Additionally, what kind of paint is recommended for painting the coping? I've read some mixed things on the forums, Some seem to advocate using regular old Rustoleum enamel based spray paint. However, wouldnít the chemicals in the water break down the paint? I've had problems with the white pain from the coping coming off on my skin when leaning on the side of the pool.

14. Back To Top    #14

I just bought a quart of epoxy appliance paint to paint my coping. After reading the post, I'm not sure whether I should use it. Advice please ?? Thanks for any input.