Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Interesting Compupool Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Interesting Compupool Test

In my quest to understand how my Compupool CPSC48 works, and to try to understand why I periodically get the high salt indication, I decided to run a little test.

Tech support sent the calibration instructions, and the told me to set the polarity numbers to -18. The calibration instructions say something different, and it also talks about using a clamp ampmeter to measure the current to the cell. I like this idea since I prefer to have a scientific reason for doing something rather than a seemingly arbitrary action.

Since I have a clamp meter, I thought I'd see what this thing does.

When it goes though the power up salt check, it will run the output current to the cell from 0 up to about 36-37 A. Interestingly, it will do this no matter what the polarity corrections are set to.

When I entered the calibration mode, both polarities were set to -18, and the current was 34.6 and 34.7.

I changed the settings to achieve 30A, this resulted in -63 and -67. When I restarted the unit, after the check ran up to 36A, it went back to normal operation - 100% setting resulted in 30A, 50% was 20.4A, and 10% was 8.0A.

Seeing the strength of the "cloud" was weak at 100%, I realized that the apparent maximum current is around 36 or 37A, the point that the startup test runs up to.

I chose to re-calibrate mine to 35A - in order to have a little cushion below the max.

The polarities needed to be -6 on Pol1, and -7 on Pol2. Both now read 35.0A.

Restart of the unit was the same as before and here is the output % and Current on Pol2:
    10 11.0
    20 15.3
    30 19.3
    40 22.4
    50 26.1
    60 28.5
    70 30.9
    80 32.7
    90 34.0
    100 35.1

Salt concentration according to test strip is 3330.
    Actual water temp: 86 F
    Temp Reading in CPSC: 96

So what does all this mean? I don't know, but at least I understand how it works and what the correction factor does. It will be interesting to see if it changes after a few months, and what would happen at a different salt concentration. I'll also see if I still get the random "high salt" indication.
    23,000 IG Plaster pool w/ spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, Hayward RS1000 Main pump, Polaris booster pump, CPSC48 SWG, Legend pool sweep. Dallas, Texas, Full sun, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Interesting Compupool Test

I was reading through this, and just not understanding it.
    Then I read this, and it made me feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhetrick
    So what does all this mean? I don't know, but at least I understand how it works and what the correction factor does.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Just wanted to post an update:

After calibrating the system using the meter, I have not had any high salt indications. I've kept the FC pretty consistent at 8.0 with the output set at 60%.

Seems to be working very well!
    23,000 IG Plaster pool w/ spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, Hayward RS1000 Main pump, Polaris booster pump, CPSC48 SWG, Legend pool sweep. Dallas, Texas, Full sun, Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

I've recalibrated mine to the -18 setting. My pool currently tests at 4400 ppm, the CPSC48 thought it was 2500. After recalibrating, it says 3500, but I seem to recall that's an average over the last few tests. I'll see what it says after a day or so.

Note mine was reading LOW Salt, where yours was reading HIGH Salt.

I think I'm going to go back with the clamp meter and set it to 30A as you've done if this doesn't make them read the same.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Got the new instructions also. Will be making the adjustment. Got the HIGH Salt indicator, Pol 1.
    Oh make sure it's a DC AMP Meter. Mine is only AC. Needed a reason to get a new gadget.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida