Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repairing a vacuum hose

1. Back To Top    #1

Repairing a vacuum hose

The cuffs on both ends of my vacuum hose have split so I bought two new cuffs. One is a swivel cuff the other isn't. The problem is attaching them to the hose. I live in an area where all 6 of the pool supply stores are clueless. One told me to use a certain type of silicone glue which promptly dissolved the first time I tried to vacuum with it. Another recommended a different silicone glue which didn't adhere. What type of glue do I have to use?
    The cuff that isn't swivel seems straight forward to attach-you just put the glue along the threads and then screw them together. On the swivel cuff I assume you can only put the glue at the groove right at the bas of the cuff. Is this right?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Repairing a vacuum hose

I believe you just use pvc cement. Make sure to clean all the old glue off first and give it time to cure before using.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

PVC cement definitely doen't work.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by dollard
    PVC cement definitely doen't work.
    No, it won't.

Cut the end off the hose to get to good material. Liberally coat the cuff threads with silicone caulk (not glue) and screw the cuff onto the hose. Allow to dry thoroughly before using (Aquarium silicone works good, as well as clear silicone bathtub caulk...apply heavily)
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Q. Too late. After spending all morning visiting hardware and pool stores some guy said Gorilla glue worked for him. So I tried it and it seems to have worked. We'll see how it vacuums tomorrow and how it stands up. If it doesn't I'll probably end up buying a new hose.

6. Back To Top    #6

I just wrapped my split end with silicon tape and it's good. This is for the Kreepy krauly (i use vacuum hose) though, not manual vacuum.
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

7. Back To Top    #7

That is what I should have (would have) done if I had realized it was so difficult to put new ends on.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have used the gorilla brand duct tape between the hose and cuff to fix a small air leak very successfully, sort of a semi-permanent fix since it doesn't get used that much.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I started to post that I had used Gorilla glue and it worked for me, but didn't want to in case it was a fluke in my case.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I use mine once a week (I have no cleaner) and I have repaired several with no glue whatsoever. Just screw her on tight and put it to work. Never had one come loose. I never bother with swivel cuffs either. We did fine without them before they were invented and no swiveling goes on once the pump is running--so what's the point? As far as I can see, all they do is leak suction (let a swivel cuff break the surface when you do the steps and this is obvious).
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hubby just used duct tape and a clamp on the split in our manual vacuum hose and it has done fine for 2 seasons that way. I hate to think of replacing those hose as a friend of ours bought a new hose at the beginning of the season and it is already leaking. Either they got a bad one or they don't make them like they used to.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

12. Back To Top    #12

One thing I have learned in my 50 years of maintaining pools is to store modern plastic hoses indoors in the winter and out of the sun in the summer. These plastics seem to suffer with freeze/thaw cycles and UV exposure. They probably should have made them black like electrical cable insulation.

The old rubber ones were more durable. So were the canvas ones that needed copper ball floats--who remembers those?
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.