Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Alabama

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from Alabama

We have had our pool for about 6 years now and have had off and on issues with green algae. Up until 3 weeks ago, we have always been able to get control and have crystal clear water. We have shocked and shocked to no avail. Our pool used to be shaded and now we have full sun ( we cut the tree down).
    I tested the water this morning using our K-2005 test kit

pool size is 20X40 lagoon style in ground vinyl liner

FC .5
    TC 1
    CC .5
    PH 8
    TA 150
    CH 290
    CYA 90
    Temp is 85

We are just really stumped, we have put in algaecide, shocked the pool, backwashed the filter, added water. We have had several weeks now of high temps, high humidity and a fair amount of rain.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks
    20X40 irregular shaped lagoon style vinyl liner pool In ground
    StaRite T-240BP-1 sand filter pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from Alabama

Welcome to the forum

Based on your test results, your pool is overstabilized - CYA is too high. I suggest that you do the water dance (series of drains/refills) to replace about 44% of your water to lower the CYA to about 50ppm.

After that, you can retest everything and see what else needs adjusting prior to starting the shock process.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP fellow Bamian.

As BF said, your cya is too high and your FC is way too low.
    Read pool school and pay attention to the chlorine/cya chart.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Howdy neighbor. When you shock your pool are you using bleach or a storebought "shock" product?
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

5. Back To Top    #5

We have been using a store bought shock but after reading on this forum, we will be switching to bleach. AFter reading about BBB, we were only using one of the "B".

6. Back To Top    #6

I only use one B I never have to add borax or baking soda. A little bleach every day and some acid once in a great while is all I ever need.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to tfp, summerswelter

I am not using any of the B's right now since I have a swg (well I did top off my borates this year...but that was boric acid and 3 months ago)
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well it's been almost a month and just yesterday the water finally turned blue again!!! I am sure some bells were ringing somewhere. So here is the latest numbers:

FC-6
    TC-3
    PH 7.4
    Alk 70
    CA hardness 200
    CYA 40

We have a 36000 gl
    vinyl liner

Do you think we are finally stable now, it seems so but thought I would ask. Thank you for this site, it was a life saver in getting rid of the algae.

9. Back To Top    #9

Can you check your chlorine values? FC cannot be higher than TC.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.