Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will soot and ash have an affect on water chemistry?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will soot and ash have an affect on water chemistry?

We've got an uncontrolled widlfire burning southwest of here that has already claimed over 50,000 acres. It's about 30 miles away, but my pool has gathered a significant amount of soot and ashes today.

Will this have any affect on the water balance? I tested this evening and noticed that the CC was 0.5 but that was the only apparent change.

Do I need to do anything other that give it a good vacuum tomorrow?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will soot and ash have an affect on water chemistry?

I didn't notice any big difference in the chemistry when we had a big fire down here. Lots of ash on the surface is all.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm right in the foothills where the Station fire started. Our entire property was covered in a thick layer of ash - you could make footprints in the "snow" - which continued to rain down until the rains came in the winter. I never noticed anything strange in the chemistry - though the load on the filter was significant.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd keep an eye on pH just in case. Isn't ash acidic?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    Ash is alkaline. I believe a significant portion of wood ash is calcium carbonate? Or maybe it's potassium carbonate. I do know that wood ash is a good soil amendment for acidic soils.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    No, it should be basic. Pioneers used to leach wood ashes to make lye which they used to make soap.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!