Need to size the proper heater

Dec 31, 2011
I have ordered my pool kit and now need to sort out what size heater I need to run this puppy all year round in Wisconsin. I have a pool enclosure "Aqua Shield" that will provide the cover and provide some sort of break from the climate. The pool is about 24,500 gallons and the deck around the pool will be heated via radiant heat.

I look forward to your feedback.

Also, I need to source the controller that will run the pool basics plus, deck jets, bubblers and cozy seat jets.

Even with it 0 degrees outside is that enough horsepower to keep it 85 F? Also, which brand would you recommend? My heating guy wants to run a high efficiency boiler with a special heat exchanger vs a standard style pool heater. And finally can I run 2 pool heaters at the same time in tandem if I want to super heat it vs going to a larger more expensive system?

Cheers

It's not just the pool that needs enclosing in the Winter. The equipment will also. A heater will need to be vented for the exhaust and allow fresh air in from somewhere warm. Bringing in cold air will create an acidic condensate.

Heating water is not like heating air. To heat 1 pound of water one degree F takes 1 BTU. There are 8 pounds per gallon. You've got almost 200,000 pounds of water. Open vessels lose heat from the surface. This loss needs to be overcome. I doubt a boiler has the ponies to provide enough heat to the pool to your needs.

Scott

It will but that will cost some serious coin on a year round basis.

God forbid you lose power for an extended period during a cold snap. Having a generator as a back up will have to have the pump and heater loads accounted for in addition to what ever else it can power. An enclosed pool room or heated garage will lose heat when its 0 degrees out in a storm and the regular power goes out. If the garage is some distance away and the water lines are not buried below the frost line, a loss of power can cause those lines to freeze. Ice expands. Pipes and equipment can crack from the pressures.

Again, I would encourage winterizing for the Winter. This would pretty much eliminate the opportunity for freeze cracks.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.