Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there any disadvantages to all tile pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there any disadvantages to all tile pool

Hi, Iam new here and am clueless about pools. I have a pool that is 16' x 34' w/ surface area of about 1300, about 30000 gallons roughly. It is a gunnite pool and our plaster is in really bad shape and needs resurfacing w/ waterline tile replacement. There is only one contractor in our area who resurfaces and he is asking $19,000 for the entire work or $14,000 for just resurfacing. This seems very overpriced, but I have no other choice where I live. I have seen pools that have the entire surface covered in Tiles. I know it could be expensive to do that. Can some one tell me what the advantages and downside to having all tile pool.
    25K gallon IG plaster with Cartridge, 3HP whisperflo, built 4 years ago, equipment replaced 1 year ago.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there any disadvantages to all tile pool

Welcome to TFP!

All tile is going to be more expensive. Get several bids on the job, if at all possible. Also, you might consider getting the work done in the off-season as prices may be more reasonable then.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum

Add your location, city and state, to your profile and maybe someone can make recommendations for other nearby contractors.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I updated my location under my profile. I called every pool contractor in my city, they all use the same guy for plastering. I guess my choices right now are to either pay about 19,0000 for plastering, or go the cheap route and pay about 4-5000 for epoxy paint and new tiles. My last choice is converting the whole pool to tiles. If I order tiles online, I might save a little bit of money. Iam thinking for 20,000 I might be able to buy tiles and get a pool contractor to install them.

Can some one tell me how easy it is to maintain tiles. Do they last longer than plaster? Also can some one tell me which is better glass tiles or ceramic tiles. I heard it is more difficult to install glass tiles, but glass looks better and are easier to maintain.
    25K gallon IG plaster with Cartridge, 3HP whisperflo, built 4 years ago, equipment replaced 1 year ago.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, if you want, here's some reading for you while waiting Famed DIYer, Mats, tiled his pool in Sweden. Fantastic info in this thread.

concrete-pool-up-north-t10055.html

Also, you can use google (bottom left on each page) and search for 'tiled bottom', 'tiled pools', etc.

There is also a tile site that might have some info for you: http://www.JohnBridge.Com.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Our house is a classic mexican hacienda. White stucco, tile roof, courtyard ect.

I think a tiled pool would be the bomb.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Butterfly, Thats exactly the kind of information Iam looking for. It will probably take me weeks to go thru the entire thread though. Bigdav, wow that tile work is gorgeous. I know I cant afford anything like that. How much did it cost you to do that. Where can I find information about how to differentiate quality of tiles. I see so much variation in prices of tiles, I dont know how to go about picking decent quality tile. I want to buy decent quality tiles, so that they last long.