Borax and SWG

May 13, 2012
I am using the Liquidator this year, but considering going back to SWG for next season. My question pertains to Borax. As LQ users know, the tank tends to collect precipitate flakes of whitish "salts." This year I decided to add 50 ppm borates to my pool in the form of Borax, buffered with muriatic acid. Interestingly, when I did that, all that precipitate in my LQ vanished. And I haven't had to clean any buildup off the OUT float because there isn't any! I used to use Intex SWG for several years and usually had to replace the cell every year. Once a week I would have to de-lime the cell in a 1:5 mix of muriatic acid and water. And remember, I wasn't using any borates those seasons. So now, seeing the absence of buildup in my LQ due to the borates, I can't help but wonder if 50 ppm berated would also prevent buildup on a SWG cell, thus greatly prolonging cell life. Any thoughts?

13,500 gal
24 round x 52
Hayward Dreamline 175 lb sand
Hayward 1.5 hp pump
LQ chlorine feeder
50 ppm borates
3500 ppm salt (because I like the feel)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I am on my third season with a intex swg. I do not have build up that I have to clean now that I have added borates. Before I added them, I had to clean the cell about twice a season.

With that said, it could be that you were running your swg long enough each day that you wore it out (your pool is at the edge volume wise of it's capabilities). How long were you running typically? What cya level were you running then?

Well when I first got the Intex SWG, I also had a 15' Intex pool... The one with legs, not the inflatable ring. Seems like I was running cya about 40 and running SWG about 4 or 5 hours a day. It lasted the whole summer and I had to clean white growths off the cell about every 4-5 days. I always would clean it before winter storage too. Then the next season, it would work for about a month and then fail with a code 91, despite proper salt level (160 lbs in a 6,450 gallon pool that I took down each fall and set up each summer). Now I have a 13,500 gallon pool. With the SWG I was running it around 7 hours a day and a cya around 60. I also wasn't a TFP'er then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.