Solar blanket vs. solar panel

The 15 foot by the same manufacturer has some negative reviews about the bubbles failing and falling apart. That is what my expensive 16 mil cover did after a couple of seasons, it really is annoying picking the pieces off you when you are swimming and drying off. But, some of the other sizes have gotten excellent reviews...

I do think part of the longevity of any cover is in maintaining proper water balance, but eventually the sunlight just degrades the plastic.

I don't think so, it's just glorified bubble wrap. I've gone expensive and cheapish, seem to last the same amount. I bought mine on E-bay, just look for the best bang for the buck and free shipping. Heck, at this time of year check your local pool store. You may find an end of year clearance sale on them. I wouldn't bother with 12mil or thicker. I do prefer clear.

There have been a large number of negative reviews (and only a very occasional positive review) of the rings.

Solar covers only tend to last a year or two, no matter what the warranty says, so I just get the least expensive kind.

I bought a good cover with I think a 8 year warranty. When I got it, they sent the specifications for warranty. Once of the specs was that you had to keep your FC at a extremely low level, something like 1.0 or 1.5 PPM - that's not going to happen.

That cover is now at the end of its second season and it is going to be its last. It is extremely brittle. For the record my FC when the cover is on is usually around 3 -4 ppm - Maybe, maybe for a while in the morning when I add bleach it gets up to 5.5

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.