My funky journey to getting my pool right.

cram

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2012
Cedarhurst, NY
I've been lurking around for a week, finally got my kit and did some tests.
(I had a big problem with low PH and soda ash which forced me to drain my pool by half/.vacuum/refill/vacuum.)

I eliminated the Soda Ash fiasco and restarted getting my pool's chemistry right.

Test this morning and got these results...
pool (42000 gallon, in ground)

CL = 7
PH = 7.2
TA = 70
ch = 120
cya = 50

cool, but pool kinda green...algae?

Went to the pool calculator and boom..it says shock = 4.3 jugs of 182 oz bleach...

I added 4x182 oz jugs of bleach, brushed the walls and floor and am now running the filter.

The 10ml CL test after adding bleach took 58 drops! So I guess it' s friggin' shocked all right.
I mean a cl = 29 shocked the Crud out of me!

I got curious about the measurements (seemed high) so I actually measured the deep end of my pool (original owner who installed it said tit was 10 feet deep at the deep end...
Lo and Behold it measured 9 feet... so the calculations in the Pool Calculator are all wroong!

Which means the pool is 38,900 gal instead of 42,900...just great. But the calculator still says 4 x182oz to raise CL from 7 to 16...

Any idea of why the crazy difference?

I plan on running the pump/filter overnight, while I await further instructions.
\
Thanks!

Craig

You're on the right track. For a CYA of 50, you should get FC down to 20 for shock level and keep it there until water is clear, you don't have a drop of more than 1 PPM of FC overnight, and CC is 0.5 or less. Once you've hit all three of those conditions, you can let FC drop down to normal levels (around 4-6). Keep brushing the pool regularly during shock.

Got up this morning did the testing:

FC = 26.5
CC = 1
Copper = 1.0
PH = 8.2

Also, "Bama Rambler" - you are right . I found the original specs from the builder (1985) and it is actually 18 X 36 which means 31,500 gallons.

How do I get the CH down to about 20? Wait?

Later today I'll brush, and check my filter sand for channeling.

I've read many of the stories here, and already trust the process.
I just want to make sure my figures don't need some extra addressing.

(Like my PH level going up 1 point in 12 hours overnight).

Oh, and the filter is supposed to run 24/7 during the process, right?

Thanks! Craig

cram said:
FC = 26.5
CC = 1
Copper = 1.0
PH 8.2

How do I get the CH down to about 20? Wait?
(Like my PH level going up 1 point in 12 hours overnight).
Oh, and the filter is supposed to run 24/7 during the process, right?

CH normally = Calcium Hardness but from context I assume you mean Free Chlorine (FC). If that assumption is correct - yes, you wait. Sunlight will knock off a lot of FC in a hurry. The higher you start the larger the % drop.

pH can't be measured accurately at FC > 10. Don't bother testing it until you are past the shocking phase.

Filter 24/7 is correct.

Cool...thanks.

new numbers Sunday, Aug 5 @ 12:40pm EDT:

FC = 28.5
CC = 0
CYA = 50

Also, no problem with stopping the filter to check for channeling? and dealing with that for 30-60 mins or so?
The filter pressure has't risen (stuck on 18 since yesterdays backwash before shocking).

Here are pictures of the deep end:
IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update... used some POP for a few days...pool reacting ncely.

Right now pool looks BEAUTIFUL. numbers are stable except for FC...It has RISEN since yesterday.

on 8/10 test 8:29am:
FC=17
CC = .5
PH =7.2

On 8/10 test - 6:25pm:
FC=15.5
CC= .5
PH= 7.2

8/10 - 9:01pm (after dark)
FC= 14
CC = .5

8/11 - 10:00 am:

FC = 17.5
cc = .5
TA=70
PH = 7.2

What would cause the FC to rise overnight?

The only thing I did was vacuum (to waste) after the 6:25 test, then replace the missing water with fresh fill.

8/11/12 - today's evening test results:

FC = 13
CC = 1
PH= 7.2
TA = 70

According to the pool calculator

To raise my PH from 7.2 to 7.5, I need to add - 76oz of Borax

and to raise my TA from 70 to 80, I need to add - 4lbs 10oz of Baking Soda

But the water look so clear and sparkly now, I'm afraid to cloud it up again.

Are my current numbers (shown in the post above) okay or should I make the adjustments?

Thanks for all the help!! ...new pics will post tomorrow.

Craig

You're FC will never raise without the addition of more chlorine. Did you add more chlorine just before your after dark testing on 8/10? I would say that or a testing error... it can happen, even at home.

I wouldn't mess with ph until your fc gets down into normal range for your pool... Check the pool calculator for that. If your chlorine is high, it can throw off your ph test.

I think you are not done shocking yet. You still have 1ppm CC and no OCLT that is valid since FC can't go up w/o error. It could be that your night test was too soon after adding the bleach and the sample was weaker than the true FC or you may have had a testing error.

Don't slip up now - keep the POP.

Okay. Don't mess with PH until FC is in the normal range - got it.

User error is a distinct possibility. I have not added ANY chlorine since the 8/10/12 night test.

This morning's numbers (8/12/12)

FC =14.5 (note this is up again from last night's test which was FC =13)
CC = 0

as an aside with the TA test, how red should it turn?
at 7 drops it was a stable dull, then 1 more drop and it was full flaming hot pink.
so am I at 70 or 80? - Or should I not worry about this until the FC is normal? <wink>.

The pool looks better that it has ever looked in the 13 years I have had it! The water is absolutely beautiful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.