Newbie Interviewing Pool Builders: Most are Pro-Ozone. Why??

pktman

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2012
Why are these PB's telling me things like 95% of their PB's are Ozone? They all seem to think their ozone systems are better. Are they just full of horse Darn? Do they get a kickback from the Ozone companies? The wife and I have decided on SWG based off what we have read. but I still have to wonder why anyone would use ozone to sanitize.

Also, how much does a pool sales person make? How are they paid? What other kinds of BS do I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Newbie Interviewing Pool Builders: Most are Pro-Ozone. W

They must make money off selling them.

Only really useful for indoor pools.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

When we were looking at options, the pool builder we chose was promoting a UV system. Didn't make sense to me - here in Phoenix, I doubt the (outdoor) pool will have any shortage of UV exposure. So we ordered the build w/o it.

After reading what I could about the use of ozone generators and how ozone injected into the return water actually works, it made sense to me that an ozone generator would be a good addition.

O3 has an unstable 3rd oxygen atom which readily breaks off and attaches to any bio material, thereby oxidizing (burning / killing) it. I'm definately not a pool guy - but I think I do now understand the process and how it works, and on the surface, it seems to me that an ozone generator can only help (even if only a little), and can never hurt, your pool chemistry.

But still just an added expense, since you have to maintain a chlorine residual in the pool even with the system. Keeping the FC in the recommended range is all you need to keep the bulk of the pool water sanitized.

I am not saying it does not help to oxidize, but it is certainly not required.

In a residential pool which is typically low bather-load, ozone will usually end up consuming more chlorine than it saves, though most ozone systems for pools are so woefully undersized that one often doesn't notice anything at all. Ozone oxidizes chlorine to chloride and chlorate. This fact is most readily seen in residential spas where an ozonator makes sense if one uses the spa every day because the ozone oxidizes a good deal of the bather waste so lowers the chlorine demand. However, in a spa infrequently used, say once a week, the ozone uses up more chlorine typically increasing daily chlorine loss from 25% per day without ozone to being 50% per day or more with ozone. This means you can't go as long without dosing with more chlorine and that the total amount of chlorine you will use will be higher.

An outdoor chlorinated pool exposed to sunlight produces powerful short-lived hydroxyl radicals when chlorine breaks down so having supplemental oxidation from an ozonator is usually not needed. Chlorine, along with sunlight, does a wonderful job on its own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.