Removing pool light, screw issues...

ps0303

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jul 6, 2011
FL
I'm trying to help a neighbor our with replacing their bulb in the pool light. The problem I'm encountering is that the screw unscrews about 3/4 of the way and then it gets stuck and won't turn any more with a screw driver. I am able to screw it back in but I can't get it all the way out. Should I just get a pair of needle nose vise grips and and just clamp it on the threads and hopefully get it all the way out and then replace the screw with a new one or is there some other way to get this darn screw out? Luckily there is only one screw to contend with. My light has four.

Thanks for your help.

No I am not sure, could be. So then does it just pull out or something? I noticed it is obviously attached to the stainless outside trim ring so it doesn't drop in the pool because when unscrewing the entire light comes out of the niche but the screw never backs off the ring, but I thought it should at least unscrew all the way out. I know mine does but it's newer.

OK so I guess once the screw stops turning I just pull on it to make it come out?? The retainer clip keeps the screw from coming out of the retaining ring so I get that. I just thought like my light once the screw was all the way out the light would just plop out. I'll try a gentle tug and see what happens. I sure don't want to break anything in that niche.

So I went back and I unscrewed the screw as far as it would go, then I tried pulling on the light and it was a no go. So something is holding the screw in and letting it come out of the niche frame. Strange. I just checked mine and when you unscrew it the light just falls out into your hands.

ps0303 said:
So I went back and I unscrewed the screw as far as it would go, then I tried pulling on the light and it was a no go. So something is holding the screw in and letting it come out of the niche frame. Strange. I just checked mine and when you unscrew it the light just falls out into your hands.

Try putting a screwdriver between the trim ring and the light niche. Pry out on the trim ring while trying to back out the screw.

If you do break it, you can get a "light wedge" to replace it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the same light fixture in my pool but the original screw has been replaced with an ordinary stainless steel screw. Even when the screw is completely removed, I have to use a screwdriver to pry out the trim ring from the light niche. It never just pops out.

I did try a "gentle" prying between the niche and the back side of the trim rung and it didn't seem to move. I guess I was a bit worried it would break and then I would have another issue on my hands. However, now knowing that there is the wedge, I won't have any worries if I break it. Of course first I would try to NOT break it.

ps0303 said:
I did try a "gentle" prying between the niche and the back side of the trim rung and it didn't seem to move. I guess I was a bit worried it would break and then I would have another issue on my hands. However, now knowing that there is the wedge, I won't have any worries if I break it. Of course first I would try to NOT break it.

Press a little harder then, and turn the screw back and forth. The "Light wedge" is made by "Pool Tool", if your local supplier doesn't have it, google it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.