Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing pool light, screw issues...

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Removing pool light, screw issues...

I'm trying to help a neighbor our with replacing their bulb in the pool light. The problem I'm encountering is that the screw unscrews about 3/4 of the way and then it gets stuck and won't turn any more with a screw driver. I am able to screw it back in but I can't get it all the way out. Should I just get a pair of needle nose vise grips and and just clamp it on the threads and hopefully get it all the way out and then replace the screw with a new one or is there some other way to get this darn screw out? Luckily there is only one screw to contend with. My light has four.

Thanks for your help.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing pool light, screw issues...

Be careful you don't break it! It would be really hard to drill out that one.

Are you sure it's not designed to unscrew only so far, so that you can't drop it into the pool?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

No I am not sure, could be. So then does it just pull out or something? I noticed it is obviously attached to the stainless outside trim ring so it doesn't drop in the pool because when unscrewing the entire light comes out of the niche but the screw never backs off the ring, but I thought it should at least unscrew all the way out. I know mine does but it's newer.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

This one shows and e-clip. They have plenty of pictures of other brands on this website, too. http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_pool_li ... _pools.htm
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

OK so I guess once the screw stops turning I just pull on it to make it come out?? The retainer clip keeps the screw from coming out of the retaining ring so I get that. I just thought like my light once the screw was all the way out the light would just plop out. I'll try a gentle tug and see what happens. I sure don't want to break anything in that niche.
    Paul

6. Back To Top    #6

Any update?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Haven't had a chance to get back over there yet.

So you think I should just be able to pull it out once the screw stops turning?
    Paul

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

So I went back and I unscrewed the screw as far as it would go, then I tried pulling on the light and it was a no go. So something is holding the screw in and letting it come out of the niche frame. Strange. I just checked mine and when you unscrew it the light just falls out into your hands.
    Paul

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303
    So I went back and I unscrewed the screw as far as it would go, then I tried pulling on the light and it was a no go. So something is holding the screw in and letting it come out of the niche frame. Strange. I just checked mine and when you unscrew it the light just falls out into your hands.
    Try putting a screwdriver between the trim ring and the light niche. Pry out on the trim ring while trying to back out the screw.

If you do break it, you can get a "light wedge" to replace it
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Light wedge? Great idea. Didn't know such a thing existed.
    Paul

11. Back To Top    #11

I have the same light fixture in my pool but the original screw has been replaced with an ordinary stainless steel screw. Even when the screw is completely removed, I have to use a screwdriver to pry out the trim ring from the light niche. It never just pops out.
    22k gallon IG Anthony free-form pool and spa with PebbleSheen finish, Pentair WFDS-8 WhisperFlo Full Rated Dual-Speed 2HP pool pump, Sta-Rite S8D110 System 3 Grid D.E. 53 sq. ft. pool filter, Raypak R406A 399K BTU cupro-nickel propane heater, Polaris 280 pool cleaner with 3/4 HP PB4-60 booster pump, Goldline Aqua Plus controller and SWG, Inter-Fab G-Force pool slide.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I did try a "gentle" prying between the niche and the back side of the trim rung and it didn't seem to move. I guess I was a bit worried it would break and then I would have another issue on my hands. However, now knowing that there is the wedge, I won't have any worries if I break it. Of course first I would try to NOT break it.
    Paul

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303
    I did try a "gentle" prying between the niche and the back side of the trim rung and it didn't seem to move. I guess I was a bit worried it would break and then I would have another issue on my hands. However, now knowing that there is the wedge, I won't have any worries if I break it. Of course first I would try to NOT break it.
    Press a little harder then, and turn the screw back and forth. The "Light wedge" is made by "Pool Tool", if your local supplier doesn't have it, google it.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!