Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: confused on the shocking process.

1. Back To Top    #1

confused on the shocking process.

so you know my backround. we have had the pool for 4 years(came with the house when we bought it) w/ the first 2 years using bromine and then switching to chlorine late the 3rd year since we replaced our liner. we are now in the 4th year and it seems like i can't keep up so i found this site did some reading and i am still confused on some stuff. particularly the shocking process.

i should also note that i use name brand chemicals. plan on doing the BBB thing next year.

so i recently got my tf-100 test kit and these are the results on day 1
    TC= 4.5
    FC= 3.5
    CC= 1.0
    pH= 7.2
    TA= 100
    CYA= 40 (closer to 35 kinda hard to tell)

i added 59oz of 68% cal-hypo to bring my CC's down and the next day i got these results.
    TC= 13.5
    FC= 13.5
    CC= 0
    pH= 7.2
    TA= 100
    CYA= 40

seems like i am doing it right but my pool is still cloudy so i did an OCLT. i tested it twice before sundown and got 14.5 FC both times so i shut off my chlorinator and checked it the following morning at 6 AM and still got 14.5 FC.

i guess my question is do i add more shock? it seems like i don't want to raise the chlorine becuase all the levels are ok but i still have a cloudy pool.
    27,000 gal. vinyl inground.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump
    Triton II TR-100 sand filter
    Hayward C-500CF chemical feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: confused on the shocking process.

Can you post your results for CH? Was the pool cloudy before you added the cal-hypo and if it was did it get more cloudy after the cal-hypo was added?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Cal Hypo adds Calcium to your pool. And I couldn't help but notice you haven't listed CH readings.

Low CH is no problem in a vinyl pool. High CH can be. Besides scaling, cal hypo can cause cloudiness for a little while after adding. It may also look cloudy if your filtration isn't up to snuff. Is it a sand filter, by chance? Do you have a floor drain? Do you have the returns aimed down so you get some circulation in the deep end?

You've passed two of the three tests for stopping the shock; your water's not clear. So keep the FC level up. I'd recommend Chlorox- it's a brand name chemical!

After it's clear, you need to raise the CYA level. Your SWG can't keep up with the solar degradation, so a whole lot of your FC is gone before it can kill any algae.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ping
    Can you post your results for CH? Was the pool cloudy before you added the cal-hypo and if it was did it get more cloudy after the cal-hypo was added?
    i didn't test for it because i read that with vinyl lined pools it is a non factor?

the pool was cloudy before i put the cal-hypo in but it got a little better.

oh you know i added ph+ about 3 hours before i started the OCLT, maybe that could have something to do with it. someone said i should raise it. it went from 7.2 to 7.5. sorry for leaving that out.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Cal Hypo adds Calcium to your pool. And I couldn't help but notice you haven't listed CH readings.

Low CH is no problem in a vinyl pool. High CH can be. Besides scaling, cal hypo can cause cloudiness for a little while after adding. It may also look cloudy if your filtration isn't up to snuff. Is it a sand filter, by chance? Do you have a floor drain? Do you have the returns aimed down so you get some circulation in the deep end?

You've passed two of the three tests for stopping the shock; your water's not clear. So keep the FC level up. I'd recommend Chlorox- it's a brand name chemical!

After it's clear, you need to raise the CYA level. Your SWG can't keep up with the solar degradation, so a whole lot of your FC is gone before it can kill any algae.
    did not know this. i will test for it. i do have a floor drain and 2 returns. one in the deep going straight out and same in the shallow. sorry for being such a newbie.

also it is a sand filter. when i go check my CH i will get all my pool equipment info on here in the sig.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Well then, My advice is to keep the FC up, and perhaps try adding some DE or fiberclear to your filter. Watch the pressure, because it will likely climb pretty fast.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

checked my CH and it was 210. seems normal.

also richard i have a sand filter. can i add DE to it? i thought those were two different filtering methods. thanks again for helping me out.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by aviolentworld

also richard i have a sand filter. can i add DE to it? i thought those were two different filtering methods. thanks again for helping me out.
    read the link

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by aviolentworld

read the link
    i just re-read the link. i must of been thinking of something else while reading...haha, to much info in a such a short time. i will give this a try. thanks again.
    Dyna glas 1.5H pump