what are these valves for?

bjornk

Aug 1, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Hi, This newb could use some help identifying what these valves are for, and if they are something I need to worry about what position they are set to?

Here are some pics showing the ones I'm wondering about...

The valve actuator on the left has half a label beside it that seems to say "suction", but you can't seem to turn it? Is it only done automatically by the system?
The one on the right also has half a label next to it that seems to say "skimmer", and is turnable in both directions, but it's not obvious what it does or which position does what?
[attachment=2:3oz210qy]valve next to filter.jpg[/attachment:3oz210qy]

There's another valve actuator here next to the heater that has a label that says "pool return", but no indicators what it does if you turn it to a specific direction?
[attachment=1:3oz210qy]valve actuator next to heater.jpg[/attachment:3oz210qy]

Under this lid similar to the skimmer basket lid a few feet away towards the pool there's some kind of turning valve, what is this for? Turning off the skimmer/watersupply from skimmer? There are two additional valves like this one on the side of the pool and next to the spa (both also under a similar lid cover)
[attachment=0:3oz210qy]valve behind skimmer basket.jpg[/attachment:3oz210qy]

Any help greatly appreciated so that I can start understanding some of the basic equipment around my pool.

yes, we have a spa (semi-above ground, with waterfall flowing back into pool)

not sure if there's two skimmers or not, we've only seen one skimmer with a basket, but when pool inspector was out, he attached the kreepy crawley to the middle of the pool where there is a connector right below water level which is where the second valve (like the "valve behind skimmer basket") is a few feet away.

no idea if there's a pressure cleaner, or is that the kreepy crawler?

Overview of the pool area
1: kreepy crawler attachment connector
2: drain (?)
3: valve looking like the "valve behind skimmer basket.jpg" from my earlier post
4: skimmer with basket
5: "valve behind skimmer basket.jpg" is here
6: another valve up here above the spa, looking like #3 and #5
[attachment=0:22ce85mo]pool overview (numbered).jpg[/attachment:22ce85mo]

In the first picture.
The actuator switches between pool & spa.
The valve should switch between skimmer & cleaner. It's set to skimmer in the pic.

In the second pic the actuator selects between pool and spa returns. It's set for return to pool in the pic.

The red handled valve could be a way to throttle each return so you can balance them. Or it could be something else.
Have you tried turning them and seeing what happens?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.