New Homeowner - CLEAN POOL [back to shocking.]

Re: New Homeowner - Green Pool [night 1 complete!]

Test 8
PSI was at 17, so I backwashed again. Didn't add DE for the overnight because i was getting 25% up after two hours and it's going to be around 4 hours before I can function again, so, don't want to take any chances. Ran one more full panel before sleep. I'll be up again around 7 to run more fc/cc tests before the sun starts hitting the pool.

fc: 15
cc: 2
ta: 330
ch: 320
cya: 20-30, water was 1/3 of the way to 20, but definitely closer to 30. This is a really subjective test - we've got to be able to come up with another way to do this less subjectively.

Looking good. If I can manage to get through a full day of sun tomorrow I may be ready for the OCLT tomorrow night, provided that I'm clear by then. Thanks everyone for helping through this and keeping me occupied!

Re: New Homeowner - Green Pool [shocking day 2 is on!]

Test 9
fc: 11.5
cc: 2.5

There's still something in the pool. I may need to vaccuum to get organics off the bottom since I find it very hard to believe that I still have THAT much algae left to be dying off an consume my fc. Gonna have to call the previous owner to get vaccuum instructions - he told me what and when to do it, but not how and I have to say that I'm a bit in the dark on that so better safe than sorry.

Backwashed before the test, going to go add DE to the filter again to continue to help to speed the clearing process. And 34 oz of 12.5% bleach per pool calculator to get my fc up to 13.

Testing CYA is best done in full sunlight. It shows falsely low if I test in artificial light or overcast conditions.

Check behind lights underside of ladder treads etc.

Test 10

fc: 12.5
cc: 3

I'll do another full panel at the next test juncture, about an hour from now. If my cya is low, that'll mean that I've been shocking high, which as far as getting rid of algae goes isn't going to be a problem. May cause me some liner problems but I'll deal with that later.

I'm brushing as best I can since I can't see and can barely reach a lot of the deep end from outside the pool. The major numbers are reading okay, think it would kill me or cause any serious harm if I hopped in to make sure I could give the thing a more thorough brushing?

No point in testing everything. Just focus on the FC and CC. Verifying CYA may be good, but likely you were close.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jbizzle said:
No point in testing everything
I came to the same conclusion after doing the fc/cc. "Why would I do TA and CH when I know they're not going to change? So I just verified my CYA result (full sun, back to the sun, waist level, etc) and got the following numbers this time around.

Test 10
fc: 12.5
cc: 1.5
cya: 20 (well above the 30 line, just below the 20 line)

I also backwashed, replaced 4 cups of DE, opened, cleaned, and re-lubed the o-ring on the pump strainer, and cleaned a pretty serious clog out of my manual bleeder valve.

Don't need to add more chlorine at the moment, so I'll test again in a couple of hours.

It's been a very overcast day so far except for a few minutes here and there. I haven't added more chlorine yet today, but will take another test in an hour or so and balance then.

I DID call the previous owner and find out out how to use the vaccuum, so I checked the PSI before I started: 15 or so, and then vacuumed as best i could - still can't totally see the bottom of the deep end but I'm getting close! - and when I thought I had done enough and put the vacuum away, PSI was up to 20. So I definitely did some good with the vacuuming. I back washed to get back down to 12, added DE to get back up to 13, and I will keep going with the shock process.

YAY! GETTING CLOSER!

Test 11
fc: 10

Getting closer to the mark. I plugged my fc numbers from this test and the rest of my numbers from test 8 into the pool calc and it has my shock level at 11, so I'll add 24oz of 12.5% liquid chlorine and keep on keepin on.

Test 12
fc: 8
cc: 1

Adding 69oz of 12.5%. I can finally start to make out the bottom of the deep end! All the back washing has taken an half an inch out, going to be adding some water today.

I'll be adding approximately 25 cubic feet of water, which comes out to about 125 gallons. Pool calc says to get that amount of water up to my shock level I need to add an additional 1.4 oz of chlorine, so I'll do that too.

Edit: only lost a half an inch, updated my calculations to reflect that. I ended up putting in 9 cups and a splash cause that's what was left in one of my gallons, so I should be just over my shock level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

This is highly edited because it was very very hard to see the actual bottom in the photo. The pool is getting clearer and clearer, but still very cloudy in the deep end. Later today or tomorrow morning I will brave the water and get in there with the vacuum to get the debris out, but I'd like it to be a bit more clear before I do that otherwise I'm basically blind.

You can see the bottom in the center of the picture where there is a backwards L where the deep end meets the sharp slope up to the side of the pool. This is the first time in over a week that I've been able to see that deep. It's still not anywhere close to where it needs to be, but it's definitely an improvement!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 73

Test 13

fc: 9

Ug, still not quite there yet. I really hope to be able to do the OCLT tonight, but only time will tell.

I have a couple of big bottles of clorox still, so I'm going to change my calculations to get rid of those since they're so hard to handle. Pool Calc says 95 oz of 6% to get back to 11, so into the pool it goes!

I did some vacuuming again to get the dirt and etc that had accumulated where the walls meet the floor, and without the dirt to give me a point of focus I can't see the bottom anymore. I know it's there, I just can't discern it.

I admire your patience.

RockstarNE said:
Thanks J! I know that this isn't a normal every day or even monthly thing, but these titration tests are going to give me RMSD.

BTW what does RMSD mean in the quote above?

repetitive motion stress disorder

I have patience to a point. thankfully each day it gets clearer and clearer, so that helps me stay sane.

Test 15
fc: 7.5
cya: 20 (tested again in full sun - back to sun, waist high) to confirm previous readings.

167oz of 6% bleach going in.

You can't see it in the pictures, but I can definitely see the bottom and today I can make out the pool drain too. I vacuumed about 10 psi (don't really have any other good measurement) out of the seams where the walls meet the floor, and that was a much easier process today because I could just about clearly see the vacuum.

Speaking of the pictures, I cannot get this film/foam to go away. Any thoughts as to what it could be and how I can deal with it?

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 39

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.