New Homeowner - CLEAN POOL [back to shocking.]

Re: New Homeowner - Green Pool [shocking process in progress

Time for test 4. Backwashed just before the test and added more DE (it gets lost in the backwash process right?)

fc 2.5
cc 22

Poolcalc wants another 218 oz of 12.5%, so I'll do two gallons to give myself some headroom.

Test 5:

fc 3
cc 7

I just reread the testing instructions. I am pretty sure that I did test 1 right, but for tests 2-4 I was filling to the 25ml line to start. This time I filled to the 10ml line like a good little monkey and will do so from here on out.

poolcalc wants another 206oz, so I'll go with the 2 gallons method again. I'm beginning to wonder if my 12.5% bleach is degraded... I'll work on figuring out a way to test that here in a minute.

You are showing very high CC values which are not "typical". So that is consuming your FC very fast. Possibly some ammonia in the water.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I wonder if you should toss in the pucks in a floater now rather than later. They'll help keep the FC replenished and add the CYA you need for when the sun hits the pool and adds to the consumption. If you do, only put what you need to get the CYA level up to 30 as recommended earlier - in order to keep the shock value low enough to be manageable. Later you can remove them when your water is clear and your CC's are .5 or less - before that you won't need to do an OCLT anyway. Then after you pass the OCLT you can let them finish adding CYA to whatever target you set for yourself.

I tested after adding 2 gals 12.5% and brushing a lot.

fc = 11.5
cc = 3.5
pH = 7.5

I realize that these numbers may be a little wonky since the chlorine hasn't fully had time to disperse, but wanted to make sure that I was seeing a rise in fc after adding chlorine. I have been seeing a good amount of white bubbles? in the water for a while - looks almost like soap bubbles or protein bubbles that you'd see in the waves in the ocean.

edit: I said 15.5% bleach. I meant 12.5%. Pool calculator has had the proper 12.5% in it since I started. It's getting tired and I'm late, I keep making stupid mistakes.

I was thinking the same thing Vanya. The stupid bucket I have (21lbs 3" multipurpose poolife trichlor tablets) doesn't give me any indication as to how much each puck weighs, and I can't remember how many from the bucket I've used since I bought it, so I'm somewhat flying blind.

The closest I've been able to find are the regular 3" pucks from poolife, and those weight .375 lbs or 6oz, so I guess I can use that as a base measurement and go from there. If they truly are 6oz pucks, the last section of the pool calculator (Effects of adding chemicals) indicates that for my 23k gallon pool, I need to add 61 oz of trichlor or 10 pucks to get CYA up from 20 to 30. Does that sound right?

RockstarNE said:
I was thinking the same thing Vanya. The stupid bucket I have (21lbs 3" multipurpose poolife trichlor tablets) doesn't give me any indication as to how much each puck weighs, and I can't remember how many from the bucket I've used since I bought it, so I'm somewhat flying blind.

The closest I've been able to find are the regular 3" pucks from poolife, and those weight .375 lbs or 6oz, so I guess I can use that as a base measurement and go from there. If they truly are 6oz pucks, the last section of the pool calculator (Effects of adding chemicals) indicates that for my 23k gallon pool, I need to add 61 oz of trichlor or 10 pucks to get CYA up from 20 to 30. Does that sound right?

No scale? Take a couple to the post office - LOL.

Honestly I don't know what they weigh. This post indicated that they normally were around 7-8oz. I know that you need to read the ingredients and be sure that they do not contain copper or other metals - you don't want that headache on top of the green pool. Assuming they are just Trichlor even if they weighed 8 oz 10 of them is only going to be about a 15ppm rise in your pool which isn't far off but is more than you wanted to add. I'd start with half the number you calculated 5 pucks and see what the impact on CYA is.

Is it possible your pool has greater volume than you realize? Your chlorine adds have all ended up short but this could just be due to the CC's as they kill things. It could also be due to underestimating the volume a bit.

Is that 15.5% the amount of sodium hypochlorite? It seems high.

RockstarNE said:
The stupid bucket I have (21lbs 3" multipurpose poolife trichlor tablets) doesn't give me any indication as to how much each puck weighs
Most 3" pucks are 7-8 ounces.

RockstarNE said:
If they truly are 6oz pucks, the last section of the pool calculator (Effects of adding chemicals) indicates that for my 23k gallon pool, I need to add 61 oz of trichlor or 10 pucks to get CYA up from 20 to 30. Does that sound right?
I get 56 ounces of trichlor to raise your 23000 gallon pool 10 ppm cya.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

RockstarNE said:
If they truly are 6oz pucks, the last section of the pool calculator (Effects of adding chemicals) indicates that for my 23k gallon pool, I need to add 61 oz of trichlor or 10 pucks to get CYA up from 20 to 30. Does that sound right?
I get 56 ounces of trichlor to raise your 23000 gallon pool 10 ppm cya.[/quote]

Yah... I saw 61oz raised a 23K pool 11ppm - but figured 23K was a rounding thing.
80 oz only raises it 14ppm but I rounded to 15ppm for simplicity myself.

linen said:
Is that 15.5% the amount of sodium hypochlorite? It seems high.
I edited the post - it was a typo. I mean 12.5%. Yes, it is sodium hypochlorite. The pool calc has had the proper 12.5% value entered all along. No idea where 15.5% came from in the post above.

linen said:
I get 56 ounces of trichlor to raise your 23000 gallon pool 10 ppm cya.
You're right. I went back and added in proper values from the full panel test into the pool calc and I now get 56oz of trichlor too.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Assuming they are just Trichlor
They are 3" Poolife Multipurpose tablets. According to the label, 93.5% Trichloro-sTriazinetrione, 1.5% Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate, 5% inert ingredients.

linen said:
Is it possible your pool has greater volume than you realize?
This is very possible. It's 16x32, 3' shallow, 9' deep. I plug those numbers into the calc (16x32 by (9+3/2=6) to get 23K gallons. I have to go test again. I'll get out my tape measure and see if I can get a more accurate depth measurement while I'm out there.

edit: formatting

Yuck. They have copper in them. Not sure I would use them at all. Maybe sell them on Craigslist?

jblizzle said:
Yuck. They have copper in them. Not sure I would use them at all. Maybe sell them on Craigslist?

I'd have to agree - but only because I don't know at what level copper is an issue.

Test 6:

fc: 10
cc: 2.5

Just did another backwash as I was at 17psi from a normal 13 w/ the DE. Added more DE to get me to 13 from 12 psi. And I put 7 pucks in the skimmer basket. Oi, just read the other posts. I'll go pull them out and use a bit more bleach overnight to keep fc up.

If my fc reading of 10 is accurate, then I need another 46 oz to maintain a shock level of 12. I'll throw a whole gallon in to be safe and to counteract the fact that I can't do this all night.

I also took my tape measure out. I don't feel like really measuring everything now (nor could I what with not being able to be in the pool) but I'm at 33.5" in the shallow end and 110 inches in the deep end. Definitely 16'x32'. That puts me at 143.5" / 2 / 12 ~= 6, so the pool calc 23k gallons seems about right.

Be careful - if you are actually at 20ppm CYA your target of 12 is already pretty high. The mustard algae shock value for a 20 CYA is only 12.7 per this post. If you have a bit more CYA then maybe you're OK but pushing to over 15ppm if the CYA is 20 is territory I don't know much about and can't advise you on.

Added a gallon after test 6 (bout twice what was called for to give me some hold over for the evening), and another brushing, and took a picture. FC should be around the 15 mark at this point. Little bit high but if I end up bleaching my liner a bit it's not the end of the world. Hopefully I'll still be able to get several more seasons out of it after getting all the levels right, but we will see. Wife wants to have it replaced and it has a small bubble and some wrinkles anyway. I'm going to stay awake long enough to do probably two more test/chlorinate/brush cycles.

The picture is obviously dark - but you can see the protein/air/??? bubbles on the surface of the water. I THINK I'm getting clearer too as the night goes on but it's really hard to tell in the dark.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 38

Keep it up. You are doing a great job staying on top of it and helping the process go as quickly as it can.

Thanks J! I know that this isn't a normal every day or even monthly thing, but these titration tests are going to give me RMSD. I think I'm going to have to go grab the magnetic stirinator to make testing less arduous.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.