How do you discharge your water?

brettl

May 27, 2008
Northern Virginia
I'm hoping folks can share how they discharge water when backwashing, vacuuming to waste or when closing a pool. We keep hearing from a neighbor, whose property grade is lower than ours, whenever we or a pool company discharge water. It's not like this is happening all the time, but at least a few times a year.

Our discharge is actually located at the furthest point in their property as wll as ours. When it does go into their property, it disperses over a wide area and does not floor their yard, basement, etc. Unfortunately for them and us, the pool was here before we or they lived in our homes and their property is downstream.

Local zoning laws say you can't discharge into a sewer or storm drainage. I have not found any actual rules or laws about water that goes into your neighbor's yard, though there is guidance about reducing the chlorine level, PH level and dispersing water over a broad area.

So what do you do to maintain civility in the neighborhood?

Thanks

The laws in our area say you can't discharge into drains that go directly into the river (the drains are marked with a fish logo) other than that the drains on the road are the only sure option in our area. I really think it's silly when they say you can't discharge into sewer or storm drains even if the have fish logo. I'm not a scientist but the small amount of chlorine in the water is probably nothing compared to the oils, grease, and other junk that is left on the roads by vehicles to be washed right into the same drains.

At least in our area, if you discharge onto a road and someone complains that it goes into their yard etc. then they are really complaining about the drainage in general because a heavy storm will make the rain water on the road take the same route.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.