Shopping Around for Our First Pool

Aug 3, 2012
I've been reading so many entries on this site and am completely overwhelmed but excited about all of the information here! My husband and I are curently considering installing our first pool and like many, we are getting so much conflicting information from the various installers. I'm hoping to get some help form a few non-biased experts here :)
One of our our main concerns is selecting a SWG & Filter/pump system that are compatable. Any recommendations about "Mod-Media" versus "Haywood" would be greatly appreciated.
Actually, feedback about the pros/cons of salt-water versus standard chlorine would also be helpful.
Lastly, we are hearing so much mixed feedback about steel construction versus Concrete or something called "Fusion 5010". We are looking to have an L-shaped pool installed that is a total of 36ft. x 16ft. long with the L being an additinal 12x16ft.

We would welcome any and all feedback and advice. Thanks so much.

Cyndi

cynakalily:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

cynakalily said:
Actually, feedback about the pros/cons of salt-water versus standard chlorine would also be helpful.

The main advantage of a SWG system is ease of maintenance by avoiding daily chlorine additions and avoiding lugging/storing bleach / liquid chlorine (the most preferred form of chlorine by members of this forum). Some also claim that there is an improvement in the "feel" of the water but this is subjective and varies by person. Just do not expect any cost savings, though. SWGs require electricity and salt cells need to be replaced about every 3-5 years on average. In addition, you may need to run your pump longer vs. manual chlorination to produce and distribute chlorine from the SWG into the pool. If you travel a lot and the pool would be left unattended regularly for extended periods of time, a SWG makes good sense in that situation. I looked into a SWG, but the cost / benefit wasn't justified in my case since our pool is rarely left unattended and it only takes a few minutes a day to test/add chlorine manually.

As for the pump question, your pool builder will be able to provide guidance on pump sizing. This will be mainly dependent on the size of the pool and the number of water features (waterfalls, fountains, etc.). More water features add to the cost of the pool and will require a larger pump. Plumbing (pipe diameter and total feet of run) also plays a role and your pool builder is the best source of information on that. With that said, most pools tend to have larger pumps than necessary and bigger isn't necessarily better so just keep an eye out for that. You can always get a second opinion during the build process (when plumbing is laid out) from a qualified pump installer so you will have a second sizing estimate as a sanity-check. Regardless of the pump size you go with, I would only consider 2-speed and variable speed (VS) pumps. With the price of 2-speed pumps having come down in recent years along with the significant energy savings they offer, there's no reason to consider a single-speed pump today. You can look into VS pumps which offer additional speed flexibility and energy savings, but they are considerably more expensive than 2-speeds. The payback of VS pumps versus 2-speeds is dependent on your electric rates. For most people today, 2-speeds hit the sweet spot of initial cost and energy savings.

For more information on pumps, see http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_pump_basics

Hi cyna... I'm NO expert.. but I'd like to give you some shopping advice. Interview at least 4 builders. Find the most reputable pool builders (PB) in your area. Go see some of their work and talk to the owners of the pools. See some under construction, and see some 10 years old that they have built. That PB will help you decide on equipment and what your needs will be. You can always post here, and someone (not me..) can look over the proposal and help you tweek it. You can always call pool plumbers, or contact local pool supply companies and ask who NOT to hire.

I was all finished interviewing PBs, when I happened to see a pool being built nearby. I went up to the owner and started asking questions. I thought, What's ONE more interview. Well, I'm telling you, I could see right away he was going to be our guy. I have to trust him, because that's not what I do. He is the one I'm going to have to call when something is not working right..

I will say this - not one of the PB recommended salt without the disclaimer that some people have had issues with deterioration of natural stone and or other things. He said he'd seal the stone work (and I have quite a bit) and I needed to make sure to hose down the splash area. I still wanted salt, and that's what he put in.

I figured the money I save on chemicals by coming to TFP, I can afford to replace the salt system down the road if I want to.. (nahhh.)

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your responses. We have decided that salt is the way for us to go. We're getting our 4th estimate on Monday and then will begin making some real decisions. I'm sure I'll be back again...and frequently as pool ownership seems quite dauting right now!!! Thanks again.

We chose to go with salt too... :)) You can change over in a few years if it begins to cause problem$. Everyone that I know loves it.

If you add to your signature where you are located, perhaps someone here can steer you in the right path..??