Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool will be replastered soon. When to install a new SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

Pool will be replastered soon. When to install a new SWG?

Hi all,

My pool will be replastered soon. I am redoing some of plumbing and planning to add a new SWG. Just wonder if I should wait for a couple of weeks to install the salt cell after the pool is filled. I am concerned about the large amount of loose plaster powder and other loose debris in the new water that may damage or shorten the life of the cell. Any thoughts on that? Please advise. Thanks.

Lazy-L shaped pool and a spa. 22.5k gallons. Pentair VS pump. Pentair cartridge filter CCP520. STA-Rite SR400NA heater (400K BTU). Hayward salt system. Leuder limestone coping. Pebble sheen (blue granite) Wooden deck.

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: Pool will be replastered soon. When to install a new SW

When you start up new plaster and you have a SWG, you do NOT add salt, or turn on the SWG, until 30 days after the plaster has been applied.

See article in Pool Schole Re: new plaster start up here: pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

Also, National Plasterers' Council Start-up Card is here: ... UpCard.pdf
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sun City West Arizona (2nd Home)

Re: Pool will be replastered soon. When to install a new SW

No large particulates will be making it past your filter, and the SWG will not be generating chlorine. Have it installed during the re-plaster. Start up 4 weeks after.
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning, Intelliflo VS Pump, Aquacal Heatpump/Chiller, 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984, updated in 2012 and 2014
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"