Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Ultraframe 16ft x 48" pump/filter conversion & more

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Ultraframe 16ft x 48" pump/filter conversion & more

Hello All
    New to the site. Been reading alot of the posts esp those concerning the conversion stuff. Ingenious folks here thats for sure.

I am wanting to convert the filter/pump that came with the Intex to our "normal" filter and pump and connect that to the Intex SWG system. (stand alone not the one with the filter/pump with it)

I read the discussions about how others have done it and still a little confused on the pool outlet/return connections.
    I went to Lowes and got the 1 1/4 electrical box adapters. . I sanded down the face of the box adapter to remove the raised lettering.
    I got a couple of 1 1/2 couplers also.
    I assume that the box adpaters get glued into the coupler and then after I cut the hoses to take off the screw on nuts I slide them over the glued couple/box adapter and that screws onto the pool outlet/return part.

Once that is done I can pipe in a ball valve for shut off like the plunger was there. I am not going to pvc the whole thing. I am planning on going to the ground with pvc and then hose over the the SWG and Pump n Filter.

Would it be better to elbow down and then insert the ball valve for weight issues or put the valve straight out and then elbow down ?

I am not gonna add a new skimmer since money is tight so was wondering if it matters if 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 pipe makes a difference ? Staying with the original ports that came with the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Clearwater, FL.

Re: Intex Ultraframe 16ft x 48" pump/filter conversion & mo

Hi freebird1963 and welcome to TFP!
    Yeah, I did the cutout of the stock Intex fittings mainly because mine were the older style to put in the Hayward ones.
    Read all about here with some others that did it like your describing.

Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Portland, Oregon

Re: Intex Ultraframe 16ft x 48" pump/filter conversion & mo

Cutting holes in the pool is easier done than said. If youre upgrading the lines, small holes wont help, and will reduce the flow. Cut the holes, it's actually quite easy and not nearly as scary as it sounds.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.