Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Just refilled my pool with water

Just refilled my pool with water

I've just refilled my pool with water; Cya acid had gone up to 300. Just didn't know that the tablets of Cl had it in them. The Pool Supply Store 's water tests didn't spot the problem. (Wondered why the water tasted so bad!)
    Did get new test strips. So much easier to read than the old dropper method. Can't wait to totally impliment the BBB method.
    Thanks,

JerBearGad

30,000 gal, vinyl IG, 3/4 hp pump, sand
    JerBearGad

Re: Just refilled my pool with water

JerBearGad:

Welcome to TFP

With CYA @ 300 ppm you definitely did the right thing in draining / refilling your pool.

One thing I (and several others on this site) believe in and advise is to get a good drop-based test kit. Most test strips are notoriously inaccurate. See the Test Kit Comparison link in my signature. A good test kit is an investment, not an expense. It will save you $ in the long run by helping you avoid problems.

Check out the Pool School articles and ask any questions you may have.
    TFP Moderator 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

I checked out the Test Kit Comparison. I bought the test strips 2 days ago. I had decided to get the test strips, because I wasn't satisfied with the drop-based products that I had available to me. Can I assume that the test kits you described in the comparison are available online? The main problem I had with the stips was the short window (15 sec.) to read the tests. If I was slow collecting my data, the colors darkened, giving a different reading.
    Thanks again,
    JerBearGad
    JerBearGad

Typically the test kits we recommend can only be found online ... local stores shop not carry the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Tftestkits.net sells the kits. The TF100 while costing as little more, actually gives the better value for the number of tests you can do with the amount of reagents provided.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

I second what jblizzle posted about the proper test kit. I used the strips and the drop kits from Walmart. The test kits recommended on this site far surpass the other methods. With a good test kit in hand, you will feel totally in control of your pool and what goes in your pool!!!!!

Welcome to TFP
    24 ft. round ABG-vinyl-15200 gallon
    Sand Filter w/1 1/2 HP pump
    Installed May 2011
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    BBB method

http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

having a swimming pool without the proper test kit is like having a gun without bullets...sure it looks nice but it does nothing for protection. so when the algae comes attacking don't be left without the proper protection (tf100 test kit).......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all