Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Tile - Calcium?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Tile - Calcium?

First time owning a pool. We have a 12" raised spa, and on the side of the circle spa that faces the pool the explosed tile seems to have built up some hardended calcium spots. I think it's calcium. It's white colored, only occurring on the tiles that are on the raised spa. The white built up is "crystalized" not flat on the tile.

Any ideas or recommendations on how to get this cleaned up. Don't have any pictures of it right now but can post some later.
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Tile - Calcium?

no idea how to post a photo but here is the flickr link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78425727@N05/7706236402/
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k

3. Back To Top    #3

Please post a full set of pool test results. That will help us a lot in determining if it's calcium.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

It could be efflorescence, see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/what-...ff-t34141.html

Like RobbieH said, post some test numbers.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

It is effloressence. Minerals inside the grout migrate forward out of the grout and crystallize on the surface. It will eventually stop. Meanwhile, physically remove what you can and then use dilute muriatic to clean off the rest.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

What the best method for removing it? Its on there pretty good. I think I would need to use a chisel and hammer to knock it loose.

7. Back To Top    #7

I used a pumice stick for the tile, that see to work pretty good.... grout is a different story!! I have not done the acid/water mix..going to try that in the fall